Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help on desision 38.5 SX's vs. 454

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cegusman, Mar 22, 2005.

?

What would you do?

1. Pass it along and save for the tires

45.5%
  2. Buy it, start saving for tires again

45.5%
  3. I am gay and like Imports

9.1%
  1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I have $500 saved up for tires, plan on buying 38.5 sx's. Should have the rest of the money in a month. My truck has been down for allmost 6-7 months for build up, I am thinking I am 2 months away from getting it done:D. Problem is I just came across a $350 running 454:) all accesories are there, ready to run. If I buy it it will sit in storage until next winter, and will take up to 2 months to get the money for the tires and this will postpone my completion to 3-4 months and miss half of the summer of wheeling:(.

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Buy the 454, turn around and sell the motor you have now and only lose a few dollars. If you want a bb I'd grab it now. Thats a good deal that you'll prob never be able to beat.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Problem is, I like the 6.2 Diesel, just got done resealing it, replacing all hoses, new glow plugs, new j code intake, ect... Plus I just got done finishing hooking everything up under the hood. If I do buy it, like I said it wont be used for this wheeling season for sure, it will be sitting on the floor in my storage unit until the next year or longer.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Buy the 454 and sell it again for a quick buck, buy the tires you want, and be able to fuel the rig all summer on the money you made on the big block.

I know arround here a running big block goes for a grand easy, not sure by you.

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

The guy that has it has had it posted for sale for close to a month now and I am the only one so far interested. His starting price was $500 and today drop to $350, he is in the same boat as me, tring to get money for tires.:dunno:

6. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

You know what I think but you better decide to get it before Roland calls me back. He may not use it but being the parts whore he is I bet he’ll want it. Just bring that tire back and you can keep it in my garage for a while so you wont have to kick it around in you’re shed.

Now all we have to figure out is how to fit the 454 and the astroglide in you’re civic next to the empty propane tank with the NOS sticker on it before you bring it over.:wink1:

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

^
    What he said

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think a motor swap is way more than you want to get into if you're just looking at buying tires. I don't know all the details so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I would imagine that there would be quite a few small hidden costs in a motor swap. Before I tackle a project I try to build up a "little things that kill fund". I budgeted $500 for things going wrong during my axle swap, so far I've spent $200 and the rear isn't even done yet, with the front left untouched. I'd imagine an engine swap would be quite complicated and require a larger investment than you initially plan on. Just my .02

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

If thats the case, just pass on the motor. You already have a motor that you like, that has new parts on it, and you need tires. Buy the tires, and enjoy as much of the wheeling season as you can.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Run the 6.2, totally