Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help on egr!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BiggerRigger, Dec 5, 2002.

1. BiggerRigger

BiggerRigger Registered Member

I posted in the sencond gen. form but have not figured it out yet. The egr works fine if you push it in and hold your finger it will hold in one place till you let off. And when its warm it will work on its own like it should but that is the problem when it does its thing the whole truck starts to run real ruff and will die if you do not give it some more gas. Or if you are going along in first gear(3 speed manual) and hold the gas in one spot it will start to sound like a top fueler and go whump,whump,whump till you give it some gas and it smooths out like nothing was wrong.
    Going down the road at speed you can feel it doing the same thing kind of chugging and Im sure this is the egr system but there is my question how do I fix this little problem?
    I should add that when I took the egr off to check it both bolts were loose on the unit but I checked the gasket and it was in fine shape so I used it over I allso checked the mounting base with a strait edge to see if it were warped and it was fine but the problem continues can you shed some light?
    Aaron

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Did you "ask" the computer (89 right) to see if it's sensors say anthything is wrong?

I would think either the EGR is leaking/bad or a sensor is not reading something and thinking it needs to open the EGR. To be sure, disconnect the EGR and see how it runs. (For sure the Check Engine Light will come on). Now the computer should go into "limp home mode".

Check for codes BEFORE disconnecting the EGR.
    Good luck.

3. BiggerRigger

yes I ahve checked many times and I have no codes at all that was the first thing that I tried. as for the egr should I unhook and plug the vacum or unplug the controler that the egr gets its comands from?

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

That's weird that you didn't get any codes.

Check for general vaccuum leaks.

I would pull and disconnect the vacuum line.

5. BiggerRigger

and yes I have tryed the old vaccum leak test with propane and found nothing. I just got back from a test drive and it seems that when I tightened the EGR back up it made it a little worse(EGR was loose before I started to check things out)but the EGR valve is moveing "working" as it should from what I have read so far.
    Is there any other tips to help hunt this down?

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Might have clogged intake passages. Take off the valve and run it. If it sounds normal, they are clogged. Also, check the vacuum solenoid

7. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

sounds like a vacuum problem to me...

8. BiggerRigger

if thats the case then how does one go about uncloging this?

9. BiggerRigger

also I have checked and rechecked every vac line and connector from one end to the other and have found no leaks

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

If you bypass the EGR and the truck runs smooth, then the EGR valve is the problem, but you will need to replace the EGR valve or it will screw up the MAP sensor and cause the truck to run richer and richer to the point that the truck will not even start anymore; ask me how I know. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You'd have to take the intake off and clean it out with a wire brush and lots of carb cleaner