Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help on Hard Brake Lines For 14 Bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jul 19, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I need to get some new hard lines made for my brand new 1 ton 14 bolt to go from the drums to the center of the axle. Does anyone know what size fitting and what size tubing I need to get to have these things made? Any tips on fitting these things up? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

2. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

I went down to the local parts store and bought a two lengths of brake lines that already had the fitting on the end and just bent it to where I needed it. I was about $15. Just measure out the lenght that you need.

73 3/4 ton Chevy. 383 stroker, TH350, NP 205, 14bolt FF(Detroit), Dana 44(limited Slip), 6in. lift, 36x 14.5 super swampers

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think you need a different degree flange tool if you use stainless steel...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

3/16 is pretty common size

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

so does no one know the size? wes do you know? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

3/16" is the size you'll need. They're the same size for 10bolts, 12bolts, 14s.....

You can reuse yours on your truck if you want. I got mine from Inline tube. I went with the SS version. I got the double flare tool and I still couldn't flare the MOFO. So, I took it to a shop. Inline will flare em for you, but you need to the correct lenght. Maybe 16" to 20" on each side sounds about right. If you go with steel, you'll be able to flare em easy.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, 3/16" is the correct size.

Check out inlinetube.com.

BTW, when flaring regular steel lines, they need to be 'double-flared.'
    The stainless steel lines need to be 'single-flared', because the metal is so much harder than the steel lines, if you tried 'double-flaring' a stainless line, you will have cracks more often than not. [​IMG]

Anybody planning on checking out my homepage, forget it, I am still working on it!!!

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

K30,

Well, that just explains why I couldn't flare my SS line [​IMG]. I couldn't even crack the tube. I barely shaped it [​IMG] Should've known the single flare tool was the one to use....oh well, it's all good now though [​IMG].
    BOss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

9. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

but its not regular 45 degree single flare, its something like a 37 degree single flare, you need a special stainless flare tool.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh yeah, RaisedK5 is correct here!!! A different degree flare for the stainless too, cant use the same for the steel regular lines as the stainless!! Good eye Raised!! [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

11. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

wouldnt the flare have to match the fittings not the material the line is made of?