Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help on Quick ?? GUYS!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stimpy, Feb 5, 2001.

1. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Hey All,
    I know it's not Blazer related but it is kinda Chevy related. I have a project that I'm working on., I'm taking the body of a '43 Dodge Carry-All and putting it on the frame of a '79 Chevy that the body had rusted out on. To make things short I'm exploring my options. Can I make the Chevy a 2WD and put IFS on the front if I want to, or are the 4WD frames different than the 2WD ones.
    I thought it just might be cool slammed considering that this future show truck will never see snow or off-road use.

Thanks for all the help again guys...

Todd Miller
    Lake tahoe, CA

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive frames are the same. It would probably be a pain in the neck to attach all of the IFS hardware. In my humble opinion, you should leave it 4WD, and slap a set of 44" Swampers under the old Dodge.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are referring to the 73-87 truck frames, NO, NO, NO, NO, the 2WD and 4WD frames ARE NOT the same!!!!!! They are both VERY different in comparison. There are too many things to list, but they ARE NOT the same. They DO have the same wheel base and shapes of curves on the frame rails, but many, many things are different. For example: crossmembers are different, especially the engine crossmember. Transmission crossmembers are different. Spring mounts are all different, too. The whole front part of the frame where the A-arms on 2WD and leaf springs on 4WD are different. Many holes are different locations on both frames. If this guy wants to install IFS, why not look for an 88 on up donor truck?