Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help on what to do withthe truck first...got a d60 and doubler stuff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Dec 1, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

today I scored a 1 ton 4x4 4 door, 410 gears, 454, t400, 205

I cant decide to swap the d60 in first or buy my doubler kit /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I already have a 203 in the truck, so I would just need the doubler kit and I am in business, but why do drive shafts when I will install a d-60 soon. but then I will need to change the rear shaft to a 1350 at the t-case /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

or install the 60,

gears
    bearings
    hy steer
    cross over
    maby a locker if $$ is there.
    has new rotors and crap though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

but still no drive shaft in the front.

or just go with the d60 and run a conversion joint and cut the shaft down for free /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

also have 16 inch rims lined up and bran new swampers this week

but I am so confused, I would just slap the 60 in, but I would need the raised steering block if I dont go cross over, why not spend that money twoards cross over.

then I need to get new gears and locker for the 14 bolt asap too.

or....swap in my new 400 tranny and the 454 big block and realy make my mind swirl /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I need a plan on what to do in what order /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I finally have parts and money..and I am still lost /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just cant beleave I am doing all this at the age of 19! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

You gotta hook me up. Weren't you just thinking of whoring yourself out for some cash like last week? did you win the lotto or what? Oh wait, I know, it's you grant money for school /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. supersize75

no grants here, paid for next semester last week, I just have sold some goodies, I am also paid monthly and just got paid /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wish I could give myself a raise though, I am employee of the month for 4 months strait /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, I think I am getting a t-shirt soon too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, maby a parking spot /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

ps.....self employed /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Damn!! I was hoping Miss Cleo gave you some lucky numbers you could share /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Install the D60 first. It looks the coolest, and probably only has a 1310 joint anyway, so you wouldn't need a new shaft right of way. Then do your new shafts and doubler when you can afford it and you;ll be pimpin the 60 until you do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Or, drive the crewcab

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: need help on what to do withthe truck first...got a d60 and doubler stu

Word of advise. Don't do either right away. Don't just slap the 60 in. Take it out, do the gears, locker, bearings, etc. first. Then when it is ready slap it in. You will end up with alot more down time if you just slap it in.

If you slap it in you have to have down time for the gears, bearings, locker, etc. If you get that all done before it goes in then you only have to worry about the swap time and the hydro stuff. Do the axle swap right the first time and avoid the fiasco you had/have with the 14bff.

As for the doubler. Do it first. You will have to redo the driveshafts either way, and when you have the front lengthened just tell them that the 60 is going in and to make sure that the shaft is setup for the 60 not the 44 (if there is a difference).

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Youre seriously gonna part out a crew cab 4x4 that is most likely rust free (seeing as you live in Arizona)? Do you have any idea how rare that is? Cant you find a Dana 60 somewhere else thats already been removed from a vehicle? To me its like cutting up a 70 Chevelle SS just to take out the 454, it just isnt right.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is a farm truck. It has rust, and is beat pretty bad. It would need QUITE a bit of work to be put back in nice shape. It has been neglected for years. Body damage, ghetto rigging, rust, etc are only the beginnings of its problems. I know because it is parked in my sideyard right now. It is definitly one of the ugliest trucks I have seen except for that D60 it has in the front.

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

OK, I feel better now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, install the d60 and dont worry about a front driveshaft for now... just get everything else set up in 2wd-only including the doubler etc and then get the new front driveshaft once everything else is good to go.

j

11. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Install D60
    Cut and Sleve rear and install for front
    Install ORD DBLR
    While installing DBLR get a measurement and order rear shaft
    and Whamo, your done.

Yeah right, if it were only that easy /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Right on dude... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I'm 21 now and for the last year i have been doing nothing but saving every penny and a lot of my spare time buying and building the parts for my 14ff/D60, and 38" TSL's... I could have slapped the axles in Months ago, but i decided to wait until I could call them "done" and never really need to take the axles back out again to add something...
    Those things like a D60 ARB & 35 spline outers, and rear disk brakes... I didn't NEED to do any of that before the axles went it... But its so much more satisfying to have it all done.
    It sounds like you are a lot like myself, plan to keep yer truck forever, or at least be into 4wheelin forever, so the money you spend on building up the running gear will always be worth it as long as you keep the stuff...
    Now that i took my k5 out last weekend for the maiden voyage on all my new gear i am Way happy i waited so long and did everything right the first time...
    Sure its cool to have a D60 up front but if it was open diff just like my D44 i wouldn't really be any more capable. Just wanting a front locker (& lower gears & bigger tires) snowballed into building up a D60 front. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    [ QUOTE ]
    I just cant beleave I am doing all this at the age of 19! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 18 /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

(I'm aware I'm an Ass)

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Rusted or not in he eyes of GM that truck does not exsist /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif A crew cab 4x4 never "came" with a 454, 1980 was the "last" year for a GM np205. I know there are a few that slipped through the cracks. A guy I work with has one but better (sorta) 1987 crew cab 4x4 tbi-454-700r4-np205-D60-14FF. Congrats to shawn and his amazing find. One thing to consider on the build up is we are on a different wheeling season in AZ. If you wait and save it might not get finished till next sept, /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif and I might catch up to ya /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

there is a Grant here though....
    anyway...
    dont install anything. strip all you want/need from the crew cab. get rid of what you cant sell and sell the rest. more caash for the D60 that needs high steer, locker, gears, and bearings/seals. do all that to the D60. THEN put it in. this is why my truck is taking me so long. everything going into it is being rebuilt and set up "right" from the get go.

once the 60 is in then worry about the doubler. dont buy anything for your truck till the 60 is done. thats the best way. if you were to look at my truck and ask waht is next i would list off a ton of things that need moen and are half done. i could have a bunch more done if i hadnt doen this.

in my eyes: do it once and do it right. D60, doubler. thats the way to go. but make the parents happy and get rid of the crew cab first and get some more cash.
    Grant

16. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I'm basicly doing the same thing right now. Build your 60 first, gears, lockers new bearings etc. Once your done with it slap it in. I believe in building the axles and suspension first. Do as much as you can at once. If it means waiting to install some things until you can get the money, hey then you got some stuff to fill your garage for a while. I'm waiting on my gears and bearing kits for my 60/14ff. Just ordered an ARB and detroit today. Sure I could slap the 60 under the burban now, but make sense to hold off until it done. Then once ya put in under the truck, ya can say okay front axle done. Time to move on.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Youre seriously gonna part out a crew cab 4x4 that is most likely rust free (seeing as you live in Arizona)? Do you have any idea how rare that is? Cant you find a Dana 60 somewhere else thats already been removed from a vehicle? To me its like cutting up a 70 Chevelle SS just to take out the 454, it just isnt right.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It might have rust, but they probably don't know what a rust bucket looks like.

I personally would do the '60 (do whatever locker or gears you want) and then get it in. Adding more low range will just make it easier to break your '44. Why 16" wheels? What's wrong with what you've got?

I haven't put my '60 in because I'm going to do crossover/hydro at the same time. I just picked up my 2wd box (actually two of them) on Sunday.

18. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Rusted or not in he eyes of GM that truck does not exsist /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif A crew cab 4x4 never "came" with a 454, 1980 was the "last" year for a GM np205.

[/ QUOTE ]

i beg to differ, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. supersize75

since the d44 needs to get sold..

I am going to buy my cross over, inststall the 60, and then next week/later this week I will get the gears in the mail and the locker will come shortly after.

I just need to get the d44 out of the truck..need the money from it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

at least I will have the cross over on /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif