Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need HELP or Advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazerbob, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Big problem! Driving around last night my rear end started to make a loud whining noise during deceleration. I jacked it up today and just for the hell of it I tried to turn the rear wheels while in park and they spun. Then I noticed when I spin the tire the pinion flange pops out of the rear end about 1/4 inch. I figure all the fluid is probably gone but what caused this and what should I do next. I didn't take the cover off yet because if this is fatal I don't know if I am going to bother fixing it or junking it. It is a 10 bolt rear in an 83. Thanks for any suggestions!

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Maybe the pinion bearing let go. If the flange(yoke) is moving, it sounds like the bearing trashed.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

3. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

your 10 bolts toast. Consider it a blessing. Go buy a 14-bolt :) My 10 bolt began to whine and sound like i was driving at turbo charged car about a month before the pinion stripped itself. Instead of fixing I got a 6 lug 14-bolt SF so I got to keep my wheels. Or you could buy cheap wheels and get a FF. Anyways I'd say your 10-bolt is singing its swan song.