Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help ord shakle flip or rear tuff country springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dallassnowman, Dec 3, 2003.

1. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

I just dont know do i get the ord shakle flip or new front and rear springs from tuff country....4"
    my ride is 98% highway 82 blazer 6.2L diesel!!
    H E L P ME decide!!!!

2. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I just put on the ORD shackle flip and I love it. If your going to do alot of towing or something, you may want stiffer springs for that purpose. But if you mainly drive highway and dont tow much, id definately go ORD. I really like it, stock spring rate doesnt break your back. Just my .02

3. jbholley

jbholley Registered Member

I'm going through the same predicament I have leafs all the way around and I've decided to go with the shackle flip on the rear but what about the front and if I go 4 inches how much drive train rearranging will I have to do?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

shackle flip all the way. especially good to have if you ever want to lift your rig more than 4"... cause you can go to 6"-10" without your rear springs being U-shaped and stiff as hell.

j

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what about the front and if I go 4 inches how much drive train rearranging will I have to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got my truck on the road today after installing 4" front springs and Flip in the rear. First off, hope you can remove rivets. Shackle Flip requires the removal of 12 rivets from the old hangers. Also need to drop the gas tank to bolt on the flip. Un-bolting-bolting in new spring packs is easier. Also had to cut off the factory tailpipe so springs could fit and mine requires extended brakeline. If your going to flip, check the spring & shackle bushings. If your going to replace them, take them to a shop to have the old ones pressed out...real bitch to remove stock ones. I think the Tuff Country springs come with new bushings.

The front was alot easier to unbolt and bolt in springs and raised steering arm. My front driveshaft was resting pretty hard on the factory exhaust crossover so had to have a muffler shop fab a new section today (and add a new tail section...another $70).
    Im now concerned with the front driveshaft angle. I also need to add extended lines in front.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i went through the same tough decision last week. no doubt that the ord flip is a lot of work - i started one last night. but i think it provides the best foundation for any future lift. as everyone knows the process never ends. go with the 4 inch flip and in the long run you will be much happier....

7. dallassnowman

Well now i really dont know what to do!
    If the flip is alot of work, is it worth the extra $ to just get new springs??
    I really dont want to cut into dual exaust or drop a gas tank!!
    Do new springs really ride that much worse than a flip??
    82 k5 6.2L diesel /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. jekbrown

flip isnt hard if u have (or can get) some easy method of removing the factory hanger rivets. An angle grinder, air chisel, whatever. once you get the rig up on stands and drop the tank, you're half way home. just buzz off the rivets, bolt on the new goodies and you're set. if you have to drill out the rivets or use some other slow means, yeah it can be a pita. well worth it imo,

j

9. dallassnowman

Ok so what if my ride is rough as he*l right now!
    Could it be worse with new springs???

10. jekbrown

possibly, depends on the spring rate etc.

j

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

if you've got the stock tow hitch, you'll have to notch the ORD hangers so they'll fit. i did anyway. plus flip the hitch bolts upside down so the spring hanger hardware would go in. now i've gotta pull the tank to remove the hitch. i guess no one runs the stock hitch causs i've never heard of anyone else having this problem.

12. dallassnowman

Yeah ive still have the stock hitch.
    Well I just got off the phone with ORD and the price diff isnt that bad.
    $600.00 for 4" lift so im gonna go with the new springs all the way around.
    I like the ease of unbolt and bolt back on!!!