Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP PICKING STEREO/SPEAKERS

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rh88k5, Oct 1, 2002.

1. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

I have an '88 k5 with the stock stereo,and its in bad shape. The problem is that I know zero about car audio. All I want is to have a clear sound at med to high volume without blowing my eardrums, without alot of bass and without alot of money. I talking about a fairly decent radio and speaker combination that I can buy from a discount store like Best Buy. I see alot of 4x45 and 4x50, what does it all mean? I just want a simple but decent system. Please help.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4x45 is the output of the headunit 4 speakers at 45 watts. I really recomend buying a good quality headunit. For speakers, I'd also spend the money for good ones. I personally like Infinty Kappa's. I would recomened that you liston to a different makes and models too see what sounds best to you.

3. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

That system sounds pricey! I'd be happy with a system that compares to a quality stock sys. maybe a "premium stock system". Nothing outrageous 300-400 bucks.

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Are you looking to replace the stock location? What kind of requirements are you placing on the deck? Are you willing to cut the dash to put in a DIN Mounted deck? CD -v- Cass.? Changer Compatiable?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you ever want to upgrade your stereo, I'd buy something with atleast (2) sets of preamp outs, preferablly (3) sets. Ebay is a good sorce for headunits. I have a JVC KD-LX50. I can't begin too say how much I like it. It does everything I wanted. Love the voice command. Pawn shops can be a good place to get a headunit. I've saved alot of money by doing some pawn shop shopping. If you want new, but don't wanta spend alot of money, www.cmttrading.com , you can get some good stuff at CMT, but you gotta look through all the crap to find the good stuff.

6. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

C'moe, yes stock location,no cutting dash,cd is ok ( have none, but no cassetes either!) Just an upgraded version of an old stock system.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Install kits avalible so no mods to dash is required. If you only want a stock CD player, try your local salvage yards.

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Did yours come with a DIN Deck or is it a dual shaft? If it is a Dual shaft then you'll not be able to have a CD player with out cutting the dash opening. If it came as a DIN stock then you can add any DIN that is the same size. Buy a wiring adapter for the Chevy Blazer and connect to the deck, after that it is just a plug into the stock wiring harness.

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Do it right and get the headuint from an authorized dealer almost ALL of the units on ebay have NO factory warranty because the manufacturer's do not allow you to sell them on ebay thus voiding the warranty. I have tried numerous times to warranty Clarion units that customers have bought from ebay and Clarion says no way. They have no warranty.

Do it right and get a quality CD player and speakers so you'll not be replacing them soon. I could get you nice equipment for under 400.