Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help: Pics to explain

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Jul 6, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, thanks to ryoken aka paul, my carb is rebuilt. i went to hook up evrerything today, and it was going well (even switched out the elec choke), but i went to install the kick down cable, and there is nothing to connect to. the pic with the red lines shows where the bracket and nipple are on my 305 carb, but on this 350, that piece of the bracket does not exist.

so, ways around it? ideas?

i did grind of the piece from my 305 carb, and maybe will weld it to the 350's carb, but my arc welder is a piece, so it didnt work. hopefully my buddy is getting his hobalrt (sp?) 180 tomorrow.

thanks

[​IMG]]http://67.81.94.167:83/sigs/carb1.jpg[/image][/url]

[​IMG]]http://67.81.94.167:83/sigs/carb2.jpg[/image][/url]

sorry the pics are so big

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

It appears to me that your kickdown cable should hook to the bracket on the throttle shaft in the photos, it points towards the firewall and has a yellowish-white plastic "grommet" in the hole to prevent wear from the cable end. I would not recommend much welding on the shaft unless its removed from the carb because the heat could damage the throttle shaft seal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

EDIT - didnt read the post carefully or look at the photo carefully........the throttle bracket on your carb appears to be for a TH350 tranny and it appears that you have a 700R4 tranny.....can you replace the throttle shaft with one for a 700?

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

isnt that where the springs hook up though?

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah sorry, for some reason I was thinking your tranny was a 350 and then I noticed it was your engine. I edited my post. Yes, I believe thats where the spring attaches on the newer styles....

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

so, what are my options? there has to be someone who has gone through this! lol

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG] The attachment spot for the th700r4 is exactly in line with the spring hole, just closer to the carb . A little creative thinking , and maybe you could do something with it.

7. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

so if welding is out of order here, maybe a long bolt going through that would hold the kick cable and the spring?

what do you think

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Don't know exactly what you have going on here but if you went got a carb from a truck that had a th350 and are putting it in a truck that has a 700R4 you are potentially going to have some problems. The swing for the kick down cable may not be enough swing for the TV cable on the 700. You could potentially be short stroking a TV cable and cause damage to the transmission. I'd be careful here. Just a word of warning.

So did you switch carbs?

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

the carbs are identical except for that bracket. the kick down cable has not changed and will be in the same exact place as when it was in with my 305. i did switch over the electric choke, and that was the only thing. so, if the kick down cable is mounted in the same position as it was before, should it be ok? like i said, the brackets are exactly the same except for that it does not have the longer piece witht he 3rd nipple to hook up the kick down cable.

so, if i use a bolt and attacth a nipple somehow at the end, it might just work.

i hope

this whole thing has turned into a nightmare