Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help, PLEASE!!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chevy409, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Chevy409

Chevy409 Registered Member

I put this same question up on the 67-72chevytrucks.com site (which would make sense) and have gotten zero help so far. I don't know if it's because so many of them have lowered "lawn mowers" or what but I'd think this would be an easy question for the right person... just wish i was the right person! All right, I have two blazers, one's a 1985 and the other is a 1972 I just bought. The '72 has a frame I can nearly stick my finger through because of dreaded rust but the '85 is more than fair. The obvious answer to me is to put the '72 body onto the '85 frame but can i do that? Are 67-72's interchangable with 73-87's as far as correct body mount locations and things like that? Anyone ever try this? I have to get rid of one of the vehicles by this weekend so I need all the info i can get. Thanks and I appreciate it. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes you can do it but it would take some modifications to do it the frame changed in 78 to compensate for the fold down rear seat. im not sure what all you would need to do but it can be done /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

not without a lot of work, there are 3 different bodies if I remember right on the blazers, major difference being the ledge behind the seats.. and the frames changed 3 or 4 times as well, but this is all hearsay I don't know for sure

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

There is a difference in wheel base, and although I have never compared the two, I am going to say that the body mount locations are completely different.

5. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Yes the body mounts are different, frame length and width also different. I believe the wheelbase for 69-72 blazers are 104" and the 73 and up are 106" . 2 inches may not sound like a lot but when you put bigger tires on there you will have alot of problems. Your better off finding another 69-72 frame.

6. Chevy409

Chevy409 Registered Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like a lot of good news though /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

They ar different at the bdy mount location and that's the most important!!! I have a frame but don't know where you are located!!!! PM me if you are interested!!!
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. sdredneck

sdredneck Registered Member

I know that I made the change of axels from the 72 to 76 second generation and I had to move the axel pads inward almost 2 inches on either side. Also the shock mounts are different due to both going forward on the 72. Also the Body designs are drastically different. The length differs by a couple of inches. It mounts in different spots as well. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif