Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help please....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chaner, Oct 28, 2003.

1. chaner

chaner Newbie

I just bought a 91 Jimmy. It has a 6" lift and 35x12.5 tires. I have been repairing the worn out parts, but there is one thing that myself and the mechanic cannot figure out. When I am driving down the road and hit a bump the gear is shifted from drive to neutral. WHAT IS CAUSING this!!??? If you know please help me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif <font color="red"> </font>

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Do you have a body lift? That is a common problem with body lifts when the linkage is not extended.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed, check out the tranny shift linkage. even w/o a body lift, the linkage might just need adjustment for whatever reason. Its simple to do and doesnt require special tools... just trial and error. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Is your tub excessively rusted, or body mounts broken? We used to have one around here that we used for ragging on that was soooooo rusted out the body would flex and cause the linkage to shift up or down.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That tall of lift lowering the Transfer case is also common to help drive line angles. It too will cause problems like a Body lift.

Also I think the 90-91's are prone to breaking the mount under the transfer case. Put a crow bar between the cross member and the case and see if you can lift it and see if the mount is broken in half.

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a tranny mount to me.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

1) Check trans/case mount first.
    2) Check clearances on the shifter through the floor (especially if you have a body lift ).
    3) Check the shifter bushings and detents along with adjustment depending on case/shifter.
    4) Check body mounts

And probably the best help I can offer... In the future, post a descriptive subject. I almost always ignore vague subjects like this unless I'm bored. Many others do the same. Something like "Case shifts to neutral when I hit a bump" or "Why does my case shift to neutral on it's own?" are much more likely to catch the attention of someone who has the answer you seek. Especially if they recently dealt with the same thing and are just browsing the posts.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The things mentioned are the likely culprits, tranny linkage not adjusted for body lift, bad body mounts or possibly a bad tranny mount.

Welcome to CK5, and props on anteing up on your first day. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif