Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help please!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Feb 18, 2004.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

this morning on the way to college my wifes tahoe started making fummy noises when you first accelerate. its sounds like when you were a kid and crushed an aluminum can on your bike tire to make noise and some grinding. My first thought was the tranny. then i thought it might be the starter b/c when you hit the gas or breaks would go away. thought the bushing was failing and letting the starter slide into the flywheel. it is only when you are going slow 20 or less. sometimes it will hang with you till about 30. if i put in 4wd it goes away, but i cant drive around like that. transfer case (my guess #2) any ideas? im stuck with 120 dollar starter that i cant return b/c it was installed for about 2 minutes and 1 crank.

truck is a

97 chevy tahoe auto

I dont even know what tranny and transfer came in this thing. im guessing 4l80 or 4l60???

any ideas would it be appreciated.
    thanks in advance

69k5

to bad my spare 205 wont go in this thing

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I would start by checking fluids in all gearboxes and checking u-joints, especially the rear ones. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    wifes tahoe... its sounds like when you were a kid and crushed an aluminum can on your bike tire to make noise and some grinding... if i put in 4wd it goes away

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the old problem the S10's had when the axle disconnect actuator either stuck or failed.

4. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

maybe a CV shaft in the front? Bearing? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i checked all the u joints and they are ok. how would i check the bearings.

i thought about putting it in 4 hi and disconnecting the front d shaft and disconnecting the actuator.

how would i check the actuator? unplug it and see if i hear anything? it hasnt been in 4wd since last month?

thanks for the input

69k5

6. bigyellowjimmy

you could try blocking the ft wheels, putting the rear differential up on jackstands and idling it in 2WD, maybe it will make the noise and you could locate the source.....sure sounds like it could be dry u joint to me.

7. RingMaster4x4

To check the Bearing I normaly just jack up one tire at a time and spin the tire and see if I hearing anything. Then I check for up and down play, If all that seams ok then it something else. So you check the CV shafts in the frontend? I had a friend one time that the dust boot on the Front CV shafts got a crak in them and it would make a grinding noise.

8. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    wifes tahoe... its sounds like when you were a kid and crushed an aluminum can on your bike tire to make noise and some grinding... if i put in 4wd it goes away

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the old problem the S10's had when the axle disconnect actuator either stuck or failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

my friends wifes tahoe did the same thing when I was up in vancouver for christmas. I will call him and find out what it was and post back up.

9. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

ok hears your fix it should only take you about 20 minutes

raise the rear of the tahoe as high as you can get it and unbolt the rear driveline and slide it out.
    then unbolt the rear tailshaft of your transfercase.
    there will be a retaining clip (c clip) that will fall out its the one that holds the gear from sliding in and out .
    go to any tranny shop and tell them you want the heavy duty retainer clip and they will know what you are talking about. I guess its a common problem.
    then bolt it all back together. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

big yellow jimmy

they looked ok, but i will grease them anyway. better safe than sorry.

ringmaster

i did check the cv's. they are fine i will try the bearing idea in a little bit when i getout of class. i love computer class. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bobwilliams

i will do that today and see what happens as well. If that fixes it you are the man! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i spent most of last night finding a vehicle to bum for the meantime. thanks for all the help. the knowledge and experience on this bored is worth everybit of my $25.00 even my wife sees this now.

thanks again

69k5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. bigyellowjimmy

good luck, keep us posted!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

and the winners is????????

bob williams. I took the tailshaft off and it fell out in my hand. went by the tranny shop and got one from my buddy. ill fix it tonight. it holds the rear bearing and keeps it from sliding.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

thanks again

69k5
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

bob williams. I took the tailshaft off and it fell out in my hand. went by the tranny shop and got one from my buddy. ill fix it tonight. it holds the rear bearing and keeps it from sliding.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

thanks again

69k5
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

now thats we are all here for thank god other peoples stuff breaks.
    now thats what you call a cheap fix /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. RingMaster4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

thanks again

69k5

[/ QUOTE ]

now thats we are all here for thank god other peoples stuff breaks.
    now thats what you call a cheap fix /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. bigyellowjimmy

congrats on getting it fixed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif