Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help Popping in Rear End

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jun 28, 2001.

Need some help on my rear end. I was coming home tonight and when I put it into reverse to back out of a parking spot I turned the wheels and my rear end start popping and grinding. Turn the wheels straight and there is no sound what so ever. I continued on home about 20 miles and nothing. I then turn into my driveway and I heard it again so I backed up and it almost sounds like it is binding up, cracking and popping. It is a 10 bolt rear end with 33" tires and 4 inch lift. The strange thing is going straight sounds normal forward or reverse. It is to late to get under it tonight, I am glad I have another vehicle to drive tomorrow. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated?

larryboz86k5

1. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

hmmmmm, first thing i would do would be to check both the u-joints in the rear and the u-bolts as well, maybe they are loose and when they are torqued (sp?) during a turn they could be popping...good luck!
    peace.
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com>http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com</A>

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

We need more info. Posi, gov lock, other locker, open?

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Take the cover off. If you find any metal suprises, you'll defintely know what's up.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

the same thing happened to me with my old bronco. I'm betting that it's the spider gears. Let me know if I'm right.

5. It has 3.42 gears in it and the guy I bought it from said the rear end went on him and he had an Auburn posi put in it and I have had it for 2 years now. I have a feeling I will be on the lookout for a 14 bolt.

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Mines popped ever since I had the possi put in when I turn and back up...... Had it apaart a couple of times to check and everything looks great inside....mine is a 12 bolt.... We'll see in another year........

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

7. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I lost a couple teeth off of the ring gear a couple years ago. The only time it made any noise was when I turned right.

That's because I'm the devil.

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

My gov lock in my 12 bolt locked up cause there wasn't enough fluid. So I took the cover off to make sure nothing was broken and filled it up and it's fine. There wasn't any popping. Just tires chirping like I had a locker. Anywho, I agree, we need more info on what you're running in your diff. Also, just taking the cover off and looking will provide you and us with more info as to whats wrong.

<font color=blue>I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?</font color=blue>

9. It has never done this before. I am at work and will take the cover off this weekend and check it out. As far as what is inside it has 3.42 gears, Auburn Posi, 28 Spline axles What else do you want to know or I will just post when I get the cover off of what I see, I will take a pick also.

Thanks

Larry