Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP pulling the oil pan while the motor is in

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazin72, Jun 1, 2001.

1. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

I need to pull the oil pan to change the oil pump can you do this while the motor is in it. I thought we could rull it up a couple of inches enough to allow the pan to drop and come out and not hit the crossmember. Has anyone done this
    I need help I want to do this tomorrow
    THanks in advance
    Blazin72

Blazin 72

2. 72blazer4x4

72blazer4x4 Registered Member

ive done this before and i kept my engine in. my friend had to do it also and he unbolted the crossmember an did it.

jeremy

3. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

I ended up hoisting the motor up a bit and removing the crossmember. What I thought would be a quick one hour job ended up taking about six hours. Go ahead and buy new bolts to put the crossmember back in. It makes life a little easier. Keep in mind if you have to replace the oilpan you will most likely get the later model which requires a thicker front seal. I also had to put 1/4" spacers under the engine mounts because the new pan rubbed the crossmember.

Travis

4. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

The engine will have to go up more then you think. It also has to clear the oil pump suction tube and screen. This means you will be pulling your distributer, fan shroud, and depending on your set up what ever else may limit lift and tilt. Removing the cross member would give more room to work. Why are you going after your oil pump?

5. clarkekent

clarkekent Registered Member

First disconnect the auto tranny linkage. Crank the engine so the timing mark on the crank pulley is at 6 o'clock. Start jacking up the engine and unbolt the engine mounts and crossmember. Jack the engine up enough to get the crossmember out, or slide it forward to get it out of the way. Stick a jackstand under the crank pulley to support it in the front (it is supported by the tranny mount in the rear). Now you have easy access to the oil pan.