Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help purchasing: i know nothing

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by XHitman396, Jul 13, 2003.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ok first, the cb, keep in mind, i literally know nothing about these things, wish i did, and im workin on it, but i dont, so upon purchase, i just want pretty much a basic, reliable, effective CB i have no idea what decent-bad range is, but 5 mile will do fine, 10 would be great, i was thinkin this $80 Cobra from Summit, just says its the more power less noise one, or do i even need that, its just to talk to friends and some wheeling peeps, or would the "big cb features in a little package" one work?? and antennas, what is a good/moderate/bad range for an antenna, and some say like 100-300 watts, am i gonna need an amp, like i said, i dun need to talk to anyone 30 miles away, is there a way to tell a good one from a bad one? and whips are too big for my taste, so all the help is appreciated and welcomed... thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Well heres the basics.
    CB radios are limited to 4 watts output by the FCC.
    Almost every CB (except walkie talkie types) will output 4 watts. Running more power is illegal but everyone seems to do it.

The Cobra "Noise Reduction" type ONLY work if your talking to another Cobra "Noise Reduction" type radio. The noise reduction circuit is really a gimmick.

Most receivers are pretty good. they are within a few tenths of a microvolt for sensitivity so I havent seen any super duper receivers in CB. Atmospheric and local noise will dominate.

The antenna is the best thing to work on. The 102" steel whip is the most efficient if mounted directly over the top of your cab, but this is impractical. Most mount them on the side of the truck or bumper which is not as good but is practical. The shorter antennas are less efficient and you will loose power (transmit and receive) using them. The shorter they are, the worse they are. Also the lower you mount your antenna (closer to the ground) the worse it will work also.

If your looking at something for a few miles and for trail use I think most CB's will fit the bill. If you can run a 102 whip, thats the best, if not, get the longest (of the shortest) antenna you can find and mount it as high as you can.

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

p.s. e-bay is pretty good for CB's Just got a new Cobra 18wxst in the box for $35