Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help putting in a TPI

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by raptorGTA, Jun 28, 2002.

1. raptorGTA

raptorGTA Registered Member

I got a 350 4bolt main and some of the TPI stuff left over from my 1991 GTA so it will have the MAP and not the MAS. The parts I have are the upper and lower intake, throttle body and the runners. I know I'll need the fuel rail, injectors, ECM, and wireing harness (thinking about using painless) But what else do I need so it will run? Is there a web site I can go to? I'm only looking for the basics to make it run. Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Other than fuel pumps, a bypass regulator, and adding a return line, that's about it.

Oh, you'll need a late-model non-advance HEI. The MAP setups used the small-body setup with the external coil. The distributor is the same as would be found on a TBI V8 car, so they're plentiful in the J-yards.

You'll also need small stuff like the knock sensor, the relay/amplifier tree, and the O2 sensor. If you have headers, plan on running a heated oxygen sensor.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Do a search on the Garage and the 73-91 board, there are TONS of answers there. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Sites to check.........and there are way more than I have time to type right now........

www.tpis.com
    www.fuelinjection.com
    www.jagsthatrun.com
    www.howell-efi.com
    www.turbocity.com
    www.azspeed-marine.com

You'll also need a VSS.........high pressure fuel pump (with new 3/8" all steel lines run for the supply side)........a different/modified chip to get rid of the VATS..........knock sensor, might need new coolant/manifold air temp sensors........O2 sensor............good idea to use a later model BAFFLED fuel tank.........

www.thirdgen.org is probably the best bulletin board for TPI stuff........

Your heads on this 350..........what year are they? Pre-87 the 91 TPI manifold will not bolt on directly.........think you have to modify the center bolts but I'm not sure.

Probably more but keep reading..........and searching.

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I'm finishing a few small odds and ends on my TPI swap now. I put a 91 speed density (map) setup from a 91 camaro onto my 71. I had to machine the base intake for the 4 center intake bolts like BlazzinOR said, it was easy. I used the camaro ECM and wiring harness. If you can find a good factory harness, you can save a lot of money. You need a non-vacuum advance distributor with remote coil. I am starting on the tank and fuel lines now. I'm using a 87 K5 31 gallon tank with an internal pump for a 87-92 f-body. You can use your stock tank and plumb an inline pump and filter to your stock supply line. You need to run a 5/16" return line to the tank, but this can be all rubber, unlike the supply line which should have as little rubber as possible. I can get pics of everything I did if you want.

Chevythunder has a ton of info and specifications for TPI swaps

5. raptorGTA

raptorGTA Registered Member

The heads I am using are the stock heads that the TPI stuff can from, 1991 Trans Am GTA. I also have a question about the 31 gallon gas tank you are using. I take it that it fits inside the frame rails but does the factory skid plate from a 72 work or will you have to find one from an 87. Thanks for all the you guys have given me.

6. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

For the wiring harness you can pull a factory one from any 1990-1991 Grand Am or Beretta. The V-6 harness is easy enough to adapt and much cheaper than an aftermarket one but remember they only have connectors for 6 injectors so be sure to get two injector harnesses while your out there pulling parts /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

One of the reasons this harness works is these particular v6 cars use the same '7730 computer as the v8 cars. The only difference is in the memcal. The memcal holds the eprom for the computer and also controls limp home mode (backup in case the main computer fails). The V6 memcal is calibrated for a, well, V-6 engine and is not suitable for use with the V8. So the trick is to purchase the computer from a v-6 car and replace the memcal with a memcal from a v8 car. A really popular memcal is the one from the 1991-1992 350 Trans Am - GM part number 16151348. This memcal is for 350/700r compination and is a good baseline for hot rodding because the limp home mode cpu is designed for whats probably the hottest engine combination of that period (less chance of leaning/burning out your eninge in limp mode).

Anyway get your v-6 wiring harness (pull the sensors too while your there), get the T/A memcal and start programming /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Here's another link to help you get started...

http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/promintro.shtml

and another with pics of the memcal

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/ecm_swap_730/

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I have never seen a factory 72 gas tank but the 31 gallon tank is huge and a different shape so I doubt it will work. I didnt get the skidplate with my tank, but I bet you can make it work. You have to cut out the rear crossmember and make new ones for the front and back of the tank since the top of the tank sits against the bottom of the crossmember (confussed?)

8. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

there is a web site : www.efidiy.com or something like that
    which is very useful in parts search. There is also tons of TPI stuff on Ebay.... TBI forever!!!!!!!