Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help putting in shims!?!URGENT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by surg82k5, Dec 20, 2001.

1. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I am going to install 4 degree shims front and back, my question is do i need longer center pins in my springs or would the ones that came with the springs be ok, they are 4" rough country springs. thanks for the help
    Sergio

Check out my new website. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

Re: Need help putting in shims!?!

I had the same problem but I only have the shims in the rear with 2" blocks. I had to drill the blocks out and tap it to put a socket head cap screw(allen head bolt) to extend it for the shims. You might want to weld a slug on the end of the bolt or if there is something somebody else has tried lets hear it

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

3. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

DO NOT REUSE YOUR OLD CENTER BOLTS!You will prob. need longer ones anyways.The old cenerbolts once they have been used are pretty much useless.New ones are under a buck...be safe and buy the new ones and cut them down to size.Don't ask me how I know.

4. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

im working on mine this weekend. installing shims and got new center pins from 4wp. they sell them in a set of 2. for 2 bux. they come like 3" long though. but you can cut off what you dont need. im putting a thin metal plate under the shim because the shim can crack sitting on top of a hollow block.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

But the problem with a shim isn't that the bolt is too short. A stock one will actually probably be long enough. The problem is getting the head of it to stick down through the shim far enough that it still sticks far enough into the spring perch. For that, you need a spacer. If you go to a spring/suspension shop that sells center bolts, they will probably also have little spacers that fit on the bolt like washers (but have the some O.D. as the head) and extend the head down various distances. Just look at the thickness of the shim in the middle and use one of that thickness. If you can't find those, get some washers, but maybe you'll have to modify the shim then to make the washers fit.

It is very important that the center pin fully engages into the hole in the spring perch.

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Just an fyi, some shims are made to use the pin to hold them and some are made for the pin to go through.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

shimming the front messes up your caster
    unless you are trying to correct caster
    the 2 deg gain at the pinion is not worth it

8. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

if you get the correct shims you shouldnt have a problem. get steel no alumminum. the hole size should be 3/8 i believe. that way the centerpin holds the leafpack and shim all together. call superlift or national springs.

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

4WPW sell's the new centering bolt's.. you cut to desired length.. and they're about $8.00 for the two complete.

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com