Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help quick... dana 70

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy409, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Chevy409

Chevy409 Registered Member

I got a buddy who has a dana 70 that he'll give to me for free. It's all intact and looks in good condition. What are one of these things worth and what's the history behind them? This one is out but do they come in Fords, Chevy, Dodge...? Would it be hard to mate to a chevy blazer? Any info is great but i need it fast, he wants an answer asap. Thanks.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

D70's were used by all 3 brands. Some are great, some are good, and some are worse than the plague. What did this one come out of? Do you know the gear ratio?

3. Chevy409

he said it was from a Ford. This thing looks like brand new, the brake lines still shiny and everything. Definitiely from a late model. Not sure of gears though

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

If its free get it get some pics put em up and we will tell ya if it is junk your not out anything right.

5. Chevy409

That's true, I'll be able to give you more info if i actually get it but what would you look for to tell if it's junk or not? Anyone out there running 70's? Thanks for the input

6. Chevy409

Hey backyardbuilt, how's the 10 bolt hold up to the 38.5's (if i read your info right)? I'm planning on running 38's with no lift on my 83 blazer... and yes, i own a sawzall /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif This is also the same blazer I wanna stuff this dana70 under too, since it's free and would ensure a pretty worry-free day of riding. Just need a front now, probably a D60. Anyway, nice truck though.

7. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I run alot of mud I have only broke 2 axle shafts in four years but knowing when to use and not use the gas is the ticket. As far as the dana 70 I don't know if they made them in sf and ff if they did you want ff. I'm sure the others will post once they see this that now more about them.

8. Chevy409

I agree, I'm running a 12 bolt and dana 44 on my 72 with no breakage so far. Driving style is everything. Course I'm not running 38's either but everything's held up to the 409 and that's good. The D70 is a full floater by the way (at least the one I'm looking at is)

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Most of the D70's you'll find are good for building and they are all full floaters. There are some versions used by Dodge that may not be preferred, for instance I know that Dodge offered one in a Cummins/auto truck that had 3.54's and no other ratio will fit it. There are also some 32 spline ones available through dodge, nothing wrong with them but it shows you can't assume they're all 35 spline.

They biggest things you'll have to deal with will be overall width, spring perch & shock mount location and the higher cost of building when compared to a 14 bolt. The upside is that they are super strong (like a 14 bolt) and have a bigger selection of ratios to choose from.

Personally, I'd say it's worth getting and building. I currently have a 14 bolt and will be swapping it for a D70HD to get a bigger ratio (the 4" axle tubes are cool too!).

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

post pics
    guys like nvrenuf can probably ID it from the shock mounts shapes and other details like that.
    the easy stuff is pull the cover to shoot image of dif and count ring and pinion teeth,
    and pull a shaft to check spline count