Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help QUICK!!! Inspection this AM!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Dec 22, 2004.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so I failed for
    1. loose pitman arm - stripped nut - fixed

2. loose ubolts - loose duhhh - fixed

3. steering hard to turn and squeeks - put on new belts and tightened up - still does it... they are big tires wouldnt that do that while sitting still?? WHO THE H3LL WILL TRY AND TURN THE TIRE AT A STAND STILL (for inspection purposes?)Might fail for this

4. Emmissions - adjusted carb, put guarranteed to pass in - seems to run better Might fail for this but I hope it passes this time

A question I have is on #4. When I failed I supposedly was close... Carbon Monoxide allowence is 3.00% and I was 3.63%. I dont know if that is like walking to the fridge for a beer or trying to crawl on the floor the length of a football field with a fat girl on yer back!!!!
    Anyhow.. I remember when the guy tried adjusting my carb for me.. he adjusted the air/fuel mixture screws... he turned them till the truck got rough then the other way just a tad so it cleared out... is that right? my neighbor told me to turn them all the way in then just a tad out.... I did that and it is running good.. even sounds better... just curious....

Now if I fail again for #3 I am going to do hydro a$$ist steering.. That'll fix it
    Anyhow.. anyone know what size piston I need? I remember someone saying 1.5" ram with a 8" throw... Is there any way to tell the throw by just looking? I have an oppertunity to buy a few rams... as there is a steel shop by us that has them REALLY CHEAP!!! do they work, I dunno... but as is for $18 each and some even seemed to have those tabs on the end.. the ones I see yall weld on.... can anyone a$$ist on what is needed? Pics too cuz if I get one that works I may be able to get more to hook yall up..

A friend and I are headin out and gotta be at the inspection station by 7:30 (appointment) thus I will read this in the am to get some tips.... thanks ya...

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

id be pissed if we had to have inspections here for light duty trucks or cars-since '85 none exist cept i hear around chicago somewhere

you need to find and keep around a stock smogger carb just for this purpose and stock smaller tires too just for this

and maybe even a cat converter or two to slip on too for a bit

good luck

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Inspection...........what is that. LOL

4. RootBreaker

Lets start with Wednesday...
    Received on-call pager @ 3pm. Went off at 3:05 PM and has not stopped.. Have been up every night around 1am-2am. Then sometimes @ 4am
    Drove in Saturday night for 3 hrs, Received on call on Sunday and got Jani to reboot a server @ 6pm but by 12:15am I had to drive in and got home at 4:15am. My system shut down and I slept Monday out.. but receive 4 on call pages and worked on them... went back to sleep.... Just handed over the pager right now... phew so now my day is getting better....

now lets start with 5pm last night....
    1. I crimped a longer wire on for my tag light on the pickup
    2. Verified Pitman arm was tight
    3. Verified all UBolts were tight
    4. Put on rearview mirror
    5. Put on new glove box
    6. Adjusted carb to best of my capabilities.. turned choke cap until choke would stay open 100% of time. Figured truck will run rough but when warm will be fine...
    all in all a good night... huh... well today changed that..

1. 7:10am started truck and wouldn't run right... figured once warm it will... well it stalled on me on the street, idled really low 200-300rpm so I adjusted the carb some more
    2. Got to inspection 10 minutes late... truck still wouldn't idle right... plus when I applied the brakes.... pfffffff went the brakes and no front brakes.... so I went to pull the hood release and the handle broke off... the part that says "HOOD". But only the front plastic piece broke. I can still grab it with my fingers and open the hood. I popped the cap on my master cylinder to find out that the back bowl (for the front brakes) is REALLY low. Thus I drive to a gas station and buy some... try pumping the brakes and no better... I try and get the people there to bleed them for me and the guy says... well 1 hr I can do it.. I explained I was late for inspection.. but he wouldn't do it... so I said.... Boy customer service is so good here that I am not worthy and I walked out... Got home and bleed the brakes...

3. got back to inspection and was 2hrs late now.... I had to wait... while I was waiting I adjusted the carb.. think I got it pretty good... My buddy told me to back off the idle screw until it is not adjusting the idle at all.. the truck will idle really low to which it did... then the told me to adjust the air/fuel screws.. so I did then adjust the idle screw to my desired idle rate.... The guy inspected my usual.. what I failed last time and my lights, brakes, turn signals.

4. Emissions... so now was the big test.. their machine wasn't working correctly even though the guy just inspected a Chevy pickup on 39.5 boggers and it was working... so he took the long golf club lookin end off and stuck the hose into my exhaust... had me idle at 2k rpm's.... boy it passed!!!!! so now the day is going my way....

5. Guy tested my brakes and they were good... although he should have failed me for my power steering belt being too loose he didn't... he said how I should tighten it... gave me pointers as it is hard to adjust.. no real prying spots... as he was measuring my door height... I see him lifting the door up... so I walk over and ask him why is he doing that and he said that the hinge was broke and the door was sagging... WELL ALL BE!!! IT wasn't broken when I got there... so another broken part..... The guy said to give him 20 minutes to be able to make my paperwork... I asked him if I had to take the tilt test and he said that he has seen trucks bigger than mine ( when they were allowed ) and the same setup... axles, truck length and width pass fine.... so he said no I didn't need to....

6. I told the guy that I was going to put heavy duty shackles on the front from ORD and that will be stronger and also raise the truck 1" so he hooked me up.... he said my door was 32" and he put 34" on the paperwork.. so now I am going to lift my truck up far enough to get the doors to 34" or 33.75".

7. I asked if I could try the tilt test on my own to take a picture.. as I brought my digital camera and he said sure..... so I pulled around... started driving up the ramp.... it is a weird shape.... basically the passenger side is on the ground and the drivers side.. think of a block the height of 4-6 steps ( there were steps and railings on the side of it....) and angle it towards the passenger side and angle the front of it to the truck to create a ramp to drive on and a pitch.... Well I did this and felt uncomfortable... I looked at my bud and said... Boy I am nervous and he said.. YEAH ME TOO FEELS LIKE WE ARE GOING OVER!!!! so we get up it and the guy guides me to the highest point.. on my approach I asked him if it was ok.. and he said.. SURE I have seen many trucks do this... so I got there...
    got out and went to take a pic... my camera died.. and didn't get the pic.... On driving off of this.. my truck was flexin so much.. that it broke my bushwacker fender flare on the passengers side... so now I know about where I have to cut.... I will be going back Sunday when they are closed or next week... but when they are closed as the guy just went on vacation and they are not taking any appointments.. I want to get a video of driving up the ramp to see my travel and to take some pics......

so all in all I had a wacky week at work ending to a good finish and a busy day getting the truck to pass inspection until 12/2006 !!!!

5. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

:yikes: Man I love Arizona no smog emissions out here and the blazer runs much better since all that smog $hit came off last year!!!

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Inspection sucks

I hate going for an inspection sticker--it ranks right up there with root canals,dealing with anal registry of motor vehicles clerks,and funerals....

Even though I have a few places that "know" me and are usually willing to overlook a defect like a blown bulb or other minor thing,knowing I will fix it when I get home,its still a hassle,and 29 bucks I could better spend fixing the truck..
    Here in MA if you flunk the emission test you get one free re-test ,and you have 60 days to get it done--flunk the safety inspection and you get a "reject" sticker,and your lucky to make it home without getting pulled over-also the registry of motor vehicles is hooked in with the computer that prints the sticker and does the emission test-
    -if you have an unpaid excise tax bill,lapsed or cancelled insurance,or even a warrant out on you,they are notified instantly you are at such and such's auto inspection station trying for a sticker--and its very possible the police could show up--this has caused more than one garage to quit doing the inspections,when an ex-con flipped out on one guy when the cops showed up to arrest him for a warrant,and he thought the owner of the shop had called them--

Between the weather,rusty trucks,road salt,inspections,high cost of insurance,and genrally unpleasant living conditions here in the northeast,I would love to move to arizona--it sounds like a paradise compared to here--no snow,warm all winter(at least better than here!)no "noreasters",or days on end of rain,or high winds--its hot in the summer I'll bet--but after freezing my butt off here for 46 years,I think I could handle it....and now you tell me there is no inspections there...hmmmm:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: .

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

with the engine off, turn the idle mixture screws all the way in, back out 1 1/2 turns each screw. Fire truck up, when it is warmed up, adjust each screw for highest idle speed, then adjust idle speed screw for correct idle speed.

8. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

Phoenix and Tucson metropolitan areas (Maricopa and Pima counties) have emission inspections for all vehicles 1967 and newer. A PITA but not too bad...

Dave

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Man, I can understand smog inspection, but all that other crap is ridiculous. Sounds like you have to go through a 100-point GM Certified Used Vehicle inspection before you can get your sticker. :p:

10. RootBreaker

GeorgesBlazah (ps.com) and I went to the inspection station today... as they are closed.... and took pics and video on the ramp... maybe next week I will have the video done as I have no time right now. I am right now late for a get together at my fathers house!!!

there is no No Tresspassing signs so no one bothered us but when we went to leave we drove around the building and someone was walking our way... so we didnt look and left... maybe he heard me roast the tires

anyhow pics of george (some came out fuzzy dunno why... )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bigger pics
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/12_26_2004/george1_500.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/12_26_2004/george2_500.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/12_26_2004/george3_500.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/12_26_2004/george4_500.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/12_26_2004/george5_500.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/12_26_2004/george6_500.jpg

pics of me....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bigger pics...

http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/12_26_2004/root1_500.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/12_26_2004/root2_500.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/12_26_2004/root3_500.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/12_26_2004/root4_500.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/12_26_2004/root5_500.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/12_26_2004/root6_500.jpg

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Sorry to get off topic, but how does that S-Blazer sound with Dual exhaust im thinking about doing it to mine just wondering. sorry to hear about your emissions stuff, i dont have any advice, ive never messed with it, none in iowa, out of my buddys the only ones who have Cats are the ones who have to due to all the 02 sensors on the vortecs, the rest with 95 and so older trucks have scraped it all for straight pipes all carbuated trucks ditched the emissions crap long ago.

12. RootBreaker

sounds pretty good... if you are a ps.com member just message... GeorgesBlazah and he will tell ya... also if I get the video up soon.. then you can hear it run...