Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help quick, low-no oil to top end

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, Jul 29, 2006.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I am trying to get my new motor in this weekend, got it all together, filled it with oil. When I went to prime the motor, I got 60lbs no problem, but it doesn't seem to be getting enough oil to the top end. The rockers are getting oil, but it's just dripping off the rockers onto the springs. I am using an industrial dewalt 1/2 inch drill which has no problem spinning the oil pump. But it does also seem to take alot of power to turn the pump. What should I check? I want to get it in the truck this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it doesn't take a lot to spin an oil pump. Oil doesn't really just SHOOT out of the rockers. It just gets tossed around by the rockers and coats everything under the valve covers. if you are really worried about what you are getting, pull the pan and check the pump. Make sure the pickup is submersed well.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

turn the engine over a little and try again, not all the lifters might have been lined up with the oil holes in the block

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say as long as you are getting a constant flow of oil while the drill is turning, you are ok. As mentioned you want to make sure each rocker is getting lubed, but you might need to rotate the crank to see it happen.

In my experience, a decent powered half inch corded electric bogs down once pressure starts building. You could probably find figures on the internet of how much HP the SBC oiling system robs, I suspect it's a fair number, and a lot more than the drill motor is rated at. :)