Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help quick with front spring pack(sheared center pin) UPDATE: FIXED!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Nov 14, 2002.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ok, te center pin on one of my front spring packs sheared off and caused the shim and one of the springs to come out /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif, I found the stuff that fell out and got the parts of the pin out, it looks like it was just a bolt. Now, heres what I need to know, what usually goes in as the center pin for a spring pack, and can I just get another bolt and use that untill I replace the front springs? Speed is important here, I need to get this figured out tonight.

UPDATE:
    Ok, got it all back together, used an old head stud that I had lyin around but I left out one of the leafs(DOH!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) will work fine though till saturday.
    P.S. Thanks for the quick replys

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Re: need help quick with front spring pack(sheared center pin)

go get yourself a grade 8 bolt then and grind the corners off the head of the bolt. This will get you by until you get new springs.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

You can get the spring bolts from NAPA, as well as other parts stores. I have read some that used grade 8 bolts and ground the head round. I dont know about taking that route. I think the spring bolts are case hardened bolts. The spring bolts are cheap. Few bucks apiece.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    go get yourself a grade 8 bolt then and grind the corners off the head of the bolt. This will get you by until you get new springs.

[/ QUOTE ] Sorry Waxer, wasnt aiming that at you....I was posting at the same time you were. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I do that, I have used grade 8 bolts as pins forever.
    Actually a couple of months I was putting a lift on my Jeep and I replaced the rusted pins with grade 8 bolts and I didn't grind the heads round because the hole in the pad was so big they fit perfectly.
    And that way I can still easily unbolt them if I want to.