Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP QUICKLY

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fr8train, Aug 18, 2001.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I need help/suggestions in getting this stupid steering/pitman arm of the 10 bolt. I am hitting it from both sides and it is still not coming off. Please help me. Its getting dark and there wolves after me!!!!![​IMG]

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Which one is it? The pitman arm or the steering arm? If its the pitman arm, then you can buy a puller for it and its easy to get off. If its the steering arm, then everybody has trouble with that one. Someone else should be able to tell you where to hit at.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Get a puller from Auto Zone or a friend...

Eat More Mud!!!

DREAMING OF A BIG BLOCK!!

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Its the one that is on the axle itself I guess its the pitman. I cant get the F*&^%ER off. ITs driving me crazy. How badly do I need to really smack this with my BFH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

If its the pitman arm you need a puller. If its the steering arm hit it on the sides out it while pulling on it. That almost always does the trick. If not it will have to be heated with a torch

86 Blazer 4"lift 35" MTRs locked front, still 1/2 ton axles.Other vehicles 69 Firebird with 525 hp,and a 70 GTO www.geocities.com/modifierperformance

6. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

What I did is take a oxy/ac torch and heat is then wait 30 seconds and pound down and on the sides, this way took me 5 minutes

7. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

It is the steering arm. When I lifted mine, I ended up putting a jack under the arm while beating the p!$$ out of it with a BFH. I also chiseled the cone washers trying to pry them up. All of this after I soaked it with penetrating fluid for about a week, and I even drove it around for about 2 miles with the nuts loose.

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

As the other posts said, if it is the pitman arm, get a puller. If it is the steering arm, you could be in for a little work. You have to hit down on the arm until you get the cones that are under the nuts to move. I hope you know what the cones are. They are a cone shaped wedge that go in the countersunk holes below the nuts, and when torque is applied to them, they will expand. You might be able to take a flat punch and tap carefully on the cones and help break them loose. A liberal application of PB Blaster, WD 40 etc. will help. Once you get the cones to move, you can hit down and then up to get them to where they can be removed. But most essential, you need a BFH! Good luck

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Ok are the cones still good after you heat them up or do the need to be replaced? I am going to beat the arm worse than a redheaded step child with a 20lb sledge. Am I going ot heat and pray or just go to town?

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

They are probably okay, just be careful how much you heat everything.

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."

11. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

You have to beat the living hell out if it with a BFH !

Surfing is Life...

12. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thank you for all the replys. I BEAT THE LIVING S#$T out of the arm. Took a 20lb. and a 4.5 lb sledge to persuay it off. Now if the ringing would stop in my ears life would be good.

13. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Man, is it good to hear that everyone has my bad luck. Something as simple as takin off the chome fender lips, and I end up cuttin most of heads off the srews, it never goes as planned, so now days, I use the torch or cut-off wheel if I don't have to reuse part. LOL.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General