Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help, rear end noise!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79ChevySB, Oct 27, 2001.

1. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Help, I just bought my Blazer and the 10 bolt in the rear is making noise. It only does it when Im on the gas, when its coasting it goes away. My friend thinks its the pinion bearing. Any one out there had this same problem before?

2. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing on my '91 10 bolt rear. Made a horrible screaching type of sound under acceleration, it was the pinion bearing.

3. flblazer

flblazer 1/2 ton status

take the cover off an see if every thing looks good mine was doin it to your friends is right

when will you learn you need a chevy to wheel then a foR% stilln pissin on that ford

4. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Right now I dont have a shop and this thing is still under warranty, do you know how long it would take to swap the bearing?

5. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I had mine replaced by a shop, and it took them about 6 hours or so I beleive to do it, but I also had them put new seals and bearings in the entire rear end. If it's under warranty, call whoever you bought it from and make an appointment to have it fixed.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, its the pinion bearing...mine did that just before it went out.

90K5

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

It could be alot of different things, but to make sure it is the rear I would pull off the driveshaft and check the u-jt's. If they are ok check the diff fluid in both the diff and the tcase. Make sure they are full. Next I would pull the rear diff cover and look for metal, teeth, etc.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>