Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help rebuilding a 86 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86k5pos, Oct 7, 2003.

1. 86k5pos

86k5pos Newbie

I just got this 86 K5 from a jack ass that did nothing but [darn] it up! I'm trying to bring life to truck that is very torn up! Alot of work has to be done! What can I do for shocks and springs? Interior needs work, I have no speedometor, Body looks pretty rough, I joined to get help to make this one bad BITHCH in the long run. HELP /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Kirk

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What do you want to do with the truck? Show truck or trail truck, or both? If trail or both, I'd say screw the body, short of any rust that might need fixing for safety/comfort.

If you want a show truck, if there is that much wrong with it, you will save time and money starting with a good base, than trying to bring a truck that belongs in the scrapyard back from the dead.

IMO only rare vehicles deserve that kind of attention, and a 73-91 K5 is not to that point yet...there are plenty of good ones out there.

I had na '83 that was rusty, and didn't have the drivetrain I wanted. Was going to fix it up (daily driver that saw duty hunting once a year) but the rust would have taken much more effort and time. I ended up piecing another truck together that in all respect saved me time and money, and was what I wanted. No wiring problems to deal with, no rust issues, no drivetrain issues, and so on.

Just my experience!

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, since body panels are a dime a dozen (quantity-wise, not price /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif), you're better off replacing any panels that are shot rather than repairing the rust. If you're content with a little rust, just try to make it as unnoticeable as possible and spend your money on stuff like engine/tranny work (if it's needed), lift and tires (if wanted), and other stuff.

4. 86k5pos

86k5pos Newbie

I would like to do both at some point in time! But for right now I'm just tring to put it back together and get it running again. I pulled out the 305 that was in it and I'm dropping a 350, with a 600 4bbl carb. So I'm looking for a road/trail truck for now! I'm not all that worried about the body in general. I noticed the other night when I was working on it when I stepped on the driver wheel well it seemed to move with me! That I know is not good. Is there somebody or some shop in the Kansas City area the can weld pieces of metel on there? Or a place that I can new ones? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Or a place that I can new ones? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I know LMC truck would have them, but they will cost you an arm and a leg. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    -Harrison

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

That's OK, my prom date hopped in over the side and stepped on the wheel well and knocked it clean out /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Nothing a coat hanger couldn't fix /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.