Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP - removing 3/4 rotors on a '97 Sub

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Sep 14, 2005.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Anybody know how to pull the hub/rotor assy. on a 1997 3/4 4WD Suburban? Its got me stumped. Going to call the dealer and see if they have any suggestions.

I have to drive the darn thing to work tomorrow, and I've successfully screwed the drivers side rotor bad enough where I cant just put it back together and drive it... :doah:

Thanks!
    -Dan

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

4 bolts go in from the back side of the knuckle to hold the unit bearing assembly to the knuckle. The rotor is held to the back with the studs just like a SFA set-up. Those bolts can be a bitch to get out. It helps to pop the tie rod ends loose so you can turn the knuckle a little futher.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

What he said.

They are socket-head torx bolts.... might even be the same size as the seatbelt torx :thinking:

4. KRAZIE87K5

Guys, y'all rock. I found the four bolts. They are actually 15mm head, with a HUGE shaft that indeed retain the bearing housing which is also loosly pressed into the knuckle. I had the 4 bolts out, but I still couldnt get the things off. The trick for me was to get a 12" pry bar and a phillips head and work the bearing retainer dealeo out of the knuckle in steps (left, right, left, right, etc).

She's all set and made her maiden voyage on new brakes. Seems to run fine. Only thing being when I STOMP on the brakes, they feel very spongy. The truck still stops, but I would hope a 7000lb truck would have better brakes than that.

Any experiences?

Thx again!

-Dan

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Bleed the brakes, check fluid condition. Do a flush if it REALLY needs it, but take it to Sears or something to get the flush done. You have to bleed the ABS and there are actual steps (Some with a diagnostic computer) that you have to do to bleed it out. New brakes will be spongy for a bit till they seat 100%. If it isn't better in a couple of days, look into it.

6. KRAZIE87K5

Can I bleed the brakes without a diagnostics system? Geez I hope so!

I'll bleed them out tonight, and see what that gets me.

Thanks!

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm diggin' the technical terminology Dan! :wink1:

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

You probably will, just make ABSOLUTELY sure NO AIR gets into the system, so be paranoid about the resevoir level.