Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help removing SM 465 trans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric M., Oct 21, 2005.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

This will be the first GM manual transmission I've worked with. The manual says:

Remove boot from shifer and pull back
    Remove shift lever
    Question #1 HOW do I remove the shif lever?? I did a Toyota once and you had to push down and turn or something like that to get the shift lever out. Is it like that or is there a few obvious bolts you remove and it comes out?

Next the manual says I have to pull back the carpet and remove the cover at the floor.
    Question #2 Do I really need to do that?? Will the trans come out without taking apart the transmission floor tunnel?

Thanks, this 4 speed stuff is shifty :wink1:

Eric M.

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

1- Remove the shift retainer by pushing down and turning it. It will pop right up when you get it right. Then to remove the shifter, just put the shifter halway into reverse and it will come right off.

2- I don't think that you will have enough room to slide the tranny back without the top of it hitting the floor. I have always had mine out when I remove the 465, but it may work with it in. Good luck and have fun with your new granny!

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Sure... but it requires a can opener :haha:

Even worse is the trucks that don't have a removable tunnel. I pulled the engine to do the clutch instead.

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

that part you press down and turn... its not always so easy to A) press down or B) turn... but it comes out eventually
    it also may or maynot decide to "pop right up" but just pull straight up on the shifter and you will find out if you got it out or not

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The first part is right, the second part is only if you want to remove the entire top of the tranny. Once you push down and twist the shifter will just pull out. Just make sure it's in neutral...

Rene

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

OK, so, I am to put the shifter in neutral, push down on the SHIFTER (not some retainer located below?), turn the shifter (clockwise or counter ... or does it matter?) and then pull straight up?

This is a 2wd, does it make a difference as far as removing the cover at the floor?

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you all!!
    And what?? No one liked my "shifty" joke ....

Eric M.

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ypou push down on a retainer on the shofter and turn, npot the shifrter it sefl.

ive never revmoced the tranny tunnel before, just lower irt down eonough to hav ethe part where the shirfter goes in clear the floor.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

No. Its the domed part at the base of the shifter that you turn (under the boot). It engages the two roll pins in the side of the top cover.

I normally use channel-lock pliers. Just set them so the jaws are slightly smaller than the dome, push down, and turn CCW.

9. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Its still the bolt in tunnel, so thats the same
    the only real difference is that it probably only means that no one has ever removed the tunnel... so you get to fight 20+ yrs of grim and the factory seal