Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP!!! Replacing passenger side quarter panel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Jun 15, 2001.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. I knew my day was going to suck after I cruched that darned camaro...little damage to me (90 Jimmy)but not to the camaro. Anyway...I need a left front quarter panel...I know they are like $100 bucks at LMC. I want to get the same quality...double galvanized. If I go to a salvage yard...can I pick one off of a truck? I know blazers, jimmys and burbs will fit. What kind of price there? I assume I can do all this myself...maybe I can get a paint job out of this...If my boss er ahhh...I mean wife lets me.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

2. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Re: WATCH OUT FOR THAT uh...CRUNCH!!!--->Camaro (need help with body)

what GM truck panels are interchangable on a 1990 blazer. That is if I go out to a salvage yard and scavenge something there.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Some K5 body parts are specific to K5's. The rearmost quarter panel is one of them.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

I guess I needed to be more specific when I post stuff...It is the passenger side quarter panel. I've reflected that change by editing. Thanks for making me reread what I had.

5. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Also...my bumper looks fine but I think the brackets were bent because there is more clearance on the drivers side than on the passenger. My passenger door is binding up a bit too. Maybe I should just pay to have someone do it for me. But then there is my deductible to think about.

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to post some pics of this thing? I mean from the side and the whole area you are wanting to fix.

7. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

sure. I can post some pix...one prob...how do you post pictures here? and what size do they need to be?

8. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

If you can post them to a private web page and make a clickable link we can see them. Otherwise I dont know how to post them on here. I guess we can wait for somone to tell us.

9. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

1st Estimate...$1,500. Boy...I could do a lot of things for that much instead of fixing a fender.

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

lehtola.....if you actually need a "front quarter panel" those are called fenders and they are the same for all trucks, 'burbans, and Blazers......of the similar year. The fender will unbolt and a new one bolt on....should be fairly easy. A "rear quarter panel" is another story......only Blazers will fit and mucho work is involved.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

11. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

O.k. well...fender it is indeed then. Thanks for your help. Anyone else have anymore advice?

12. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

By the way...since we are being picky...I thought the rear panel was called a bedside panel. LOL

13. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Ok the part you need is a front fender. The rear is called a quarter panel. In pickup trucks is a bed panel. Nothing much to stress over. the best thing for you to do is get a new one. Either from an aft.mkt or GM. I went to the junk yard to get mine. I did all the body work to it so it didnt cost anything but time and materials. Good thing about getting it yourself is it cuts the labor time for your repair. Take your new fender to the body shop and have them do whatever is necassary( if you got it from the yard) and then color mathch it. It will be cheaper this way.

After you get it back you just have to take the original one off. Prop the hood in open and away from you and unbolte the hood hinge from the fender. You are going to remove the battery tray, overflow tank, marker light, and antenna. The antenna has a trim ring that holds it in, just unscrew it. Then pass it thru the side holes. There are a ton of bolts in the inner fender and connecting to the front clip. Aswell as two holding to the front door pilar. Before you take them off, take a pencile and make some line up marks where the OEM panel mounted to help you dry mount the new panel on. You may have to loosen the door hinge bolts to get at these. Prop the door up with a 2x4 if need be to keep it out of your way. SAVE ALL THE FACTORY SPACER SHIMS YOU FIND. You will need these to orient fender when you remount it. I have done this twice already to mine and getting ready to do it again. The trim across the front you can get from J.C. whitney, Cheynne, or LMC. Email me if you have anymore questions. This is the best way for you to do this and will cost a whole lot less to do it yourself. $1500 dollars is the cost for me to put on my rear quarter have it color matched at the local shop here. It looks like a lot but its really not. My gf took my front fender off after the second time she watched me do it. And she did it by herself. When I got back from the parts store I was like, "WTF!!!". Take your time and its best to take pics as you so you know what went where. And if you get to a point where you are confused we can see where you are.