Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help replacing u-joints - fast!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by creampuff90k5, Feb 26, 2003.

1. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Well, as luck would have it, one of my rear driveshaft u-joints decided to crap out while I'm on a trip about three hours from home...

For peace of mind, I'd like to replace it before heading back tomorrow, but do I need a vise to do this? I seem to remember reading some other posts about guys changing them on the trail or roadside. What's the deal? I have the sockets to pound out and recieve the caps, as well as a big hammer. Will that do on the ground somehow??

Thanks in advance.

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

that will work just fine, are you near an auto zone or vip? they rent ball joint press's that work great for u joints.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

all you need to change a ujoint is a hammer, socket, and a pair of pliers. I have a vise at home and I NEVER use it for ujoints. Once a driveshaft is out I can swap a joint in probably less than 3 minutes. I tried one of those Ujoint tools once and that thing sucked. Just use a hammer.

4. creampuff90k5

Hey, got it!!! Using an old socket, a BFH, and a pair of vise grips, both u-joints are out. The only local auto parts store is a pep girls and not only is almost every loaner tool either lost or missing, they sold me the wrong freakin' u-joints. I don't think these guys even know what a u-joint IS. Don't you hate ignorant counter help?!? Anyway, gotta get a ride back there from a buddy and hope I can make a match within their inventory...

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about your year K5 but mine still had the factory U-joints and they had the plastic Plug thing that is a real PITA if you don't have a press. But if your joints have been changed you mite not have a problem and can change them by using the socket and hammer.

Eric

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    all you need to change a ujoint is a hammer, socket, and a pair of pliers. I have a vise at home and I NEVER use it for ujoints. Once a driveshaft is out I can swap a joint in probably less than 3 minutes. I tried one of those Ujoint tools once and that thing sucked. Just use a hammer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got to disagree:
    I have done the hammer and socket thing and it works, then I got a regular C clamp and it made life easier, now I have the Harbour Freight Universal C clamp (U joint, ball joint,.. ) tool and it make it easier than a press because you can do it on the truck and it's beefy and it works.
    Now I have it with me all the time.

7. creampuff90k5

Well, the hammer and socket method worked this time - no problem. Everything is back together and ready for the return trip tomorrow without vibration and worry of the driveshaft flying out and bashing everything underneath. Finally found u-joints that fit at the local pep girls, although there was no choice of brands. These from PTC (power train components) and have "heavy duty" stamped on 'em. Hopefully I won't have to do this again for a while... Thanks all.

8. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

yeah....the plastic plugs in my stock u-joints took 3.5 tons of pressure on a hydraulic press before they gave up. total PITA. good thing to replace those u-joints before they break on the trail with traditional ones that can be removed without a press.

9. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

If you have the factory u-joints with the plastic plugs, just get a torch and melt the plastic. They'll come out with a vise. No press needed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif