Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help setting up rear axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Sep 9, 2003.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    Anyone with axle experince around here? My dad's got a 87 K-10 swb The 10 bolt blew the ring and pinion about 4 weeks ago,we bought all new stuff again,Ring and pinion, came with inner bearings and crush collar,shims,bolts ect. We also got the outter seals and bearings.The fella I was going to have set it up fer me said it would be at least a week or longer before he could even check it out, then maybe a week or so to build it.Can anyone tell me what tools i would need to do this?? The guy at 4Xheaven said i'd need a "dial indicator",I've called my local napa,advance,autozone ect. half don't even know what I'm talking about the other half don't know where to get one.Would a chilton's book help?Pop needs to get this thing back on the road asap cause this is his mower towing truck and it's been down for a while now.Any advise,help,ideas greatly appreciated,Thanks for your time,

Conoverbandit

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

3. conoverbandit

Thanks, we done got the ring and pinion, and all seals,bearings, everything needed to go back stock with this axle, as a side note we did buy a set of axles from another truck, installed the rear one drove it and it has a bent axle, you can see the wheel wobble in the mirror! so we thought we'd get the stock 10 bolt re-built and put the thing back in. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

check out randys ring and pinion ringpinion.com .look in the technical section and find ring and pinion install.it has a whole i think 13 page sectionon what you need and specifications of axles.on a side note,whats up with the rollbar u had.are you still gonna keep it?

5. conoverbandit

I put it in my truck this weekend........as a side note, I did buy me a pipe bender so hopefully soon I can get me one built like I want andd get rid of this one.Thanks for the info.

Conoverbandit

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You need a bearing puller, for both the carrier and axle, press, brass punch, dial indicator, a setup bearing helps, and whatever to put in the new races. Dont forget to mark the caps and dont mix up the shims. Hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif