Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP! Steering Column!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jan 2, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

How do I re-install the little white plastic jobber that is found under the locking cylinder? Its the thing with the two long metal tabs that stick out the left side...

PLEASE HELP!!!

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

check out dyeager's site I think he did a complete tear down and write up...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It just slides back into the hole it came out of. That's the switch that closes when the key is in the cylinder, to make the buzzer sound.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/column.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/column.html</a>

clicky

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

OK, I have bigger problems now... I was going into the column to replace the turn signal lever, the ignition switch, and the cylinder itself. Now that I have the column down, I noticed that the existing (broken) turn signal wires were just dangling there, not connected to anything. I have searched under the dash, but can't find the correct wires or the connector... Where they went, I have no idea. Does anyone know what I am looking for? My manual shows 4 wires... none of which are anywhere I can find them!

Any ideas?

Also, does it make any difference if the truck was trobably a stick originally? I think the auto column was just dropped in right before I bought the truck... Could that be the problem?

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like someone probably didn't want to go through the effort of matching the plugs up, if the wiring was different, or fixing the broken wiring. There should be a plug at the base of the column (actually a few) but the one you want is flat, with about (total guess) 10 wires going into it. The turn signal switches I have dealt with had more than 4 wires, thats for sure. If you have a wrecking yard nearby, you might want to check out one of their columns, tear it down (say, a broken one) and compare the switches/wiring. Manual/Auto shouldn't matter for turn signal switch wiring.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?