Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help--Still Won't Start ***IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!***

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83bowtyblazer, Nov 30, 2002.

1. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

Need Help--Still Won\'t Start ***IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!***

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I just did a tune-up on my 83 K5. It's a 305. Here is what I changed: Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Wires, and fuel filter (in carb). Everything is Accel except for AC Delco plugs and Fram filter. Now the damn thing won't start. It is getting fuel and fire. When it turns over, it puts out a couple pops and a little black smoke comes out of the tail pipes. Can anyone help?? Thanks.

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Re: Need Help--Won\'t Start

I would say check the wires and make sure you don't have one or more in the wrong spot.

Eric

3. 83bowtyblazer

I did that about 20 times already. I can't figure it out. Everything is good. I pulled the cap back off and re-checked the coil. Everything seems fine.

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

With out being there I would say look at the timing.
    I take it you just change out the old stuff right? you didn't mess with the moduel but then if everything is hooked up you shouldn't have a problem. How long does it run for?

Eric

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

i'd put it on TDC, and see if your right on.

6. 83bowtyblazer

It doesn't run at all. I didn't tinker with anything other than what I mentioned. It turns over, and over, and over...then a pop with some black smoke, then it keeps turning over. It hasn't started yet. I just thought of something. Fuel filter. How long should it take to soak the new filter element? Ahhh. never mind. I remember playing with tthe throttle and seeing fuel squirt into the carb. Thought I had something there. Anyways, I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.

7. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Those are the typical symptoms of a messed up firing order. I know you've checked the wires several times, but that's really what it sounds like.

To check initial timing, you can take plug #1 out (drivers side front plug) and drop a long screwdriver in the hole. The manually turn the engine over until the driver is as high as it will go. The take your cap off and make sure the rotor is firing on wire #1.

Do you have a book to show the firing order?

Thomas.

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Chevy firing order:
    1 - 8 - 4 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 7 - 2

I'd pull all the wires again, and reinstall them. Odd cylinders down the drivers side (1,3,5,7) and even cylinders on the passenger side (2,4,6,8). Hope that cures the problem! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

9. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

oh also, does your rotor only fit one way?? some are keyed (will only install one way), and some aren't and will actually install 180 degrees out!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Big Block Dave

Big Block Dave Registered Member

Given that he never removed the distributor, I cant see how the timing could be off.

I can easily see how a few wires would be mixed up, as a 5-7 switch is an easy screw up when replacing wires.

However, I happen to think that the above mentioning of being 180 out is dead on the money.

Even though the traditional trapezoid shaped HEI rotor is keyed the fit only one way, it is very easy to crack the casing and make it fit backwards, putting you 180 out.

The symptoms you describe are very much those of a distributor that is either a tooth off and extreme retard, or a distributor that is 180 out.

11. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

with a problem like this you should always start with the basics. put it on TDC and check your firing order. bascially, make sure that you didn't accidentally move the #1 sparkplug wire elsewhere. and bb dave, i've actually bought a rotor that was not keyed, and upon installation, i noticed that it would fit either way. i just layed the old one back on, and placed the new one in the correct orientation.

i also think his firing order is incorrect, by either 180 degrees out, or one prong on the distributor off. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

oh, and the only thing not mentioned is that the distributor (looking from the top) rotates clockwise on a sb chevy. <-- edited part

12. 83bowtyblazer

Re: Need Help--Won\'t Start **UPDATE**

Well guys, I checked, and re-checked everything. I traced all plug wires and checked TDC. Everything is good. I even put the old cap and rotor back in for the hell of it. No change, so...I pulled very plug out to check for fire. THhy all had good fire but...none of them had a hint of moisture on them. I guess no fuel going to them. I checked the fuel filter I chagned to make sure I didn't put it in backwards. It's good. I even put the old one back in. There is fuel squirting in the carb when I twist the throttle linkage. Is there a chance that since all the fuel came out of the filter bowl that it hasn't had enough time to reach the cylinders yet?? I also pulled the main fuel line coming off the carb and turned the motor over to make sure my pump is still working. It is. Got fuel everywhere. Any ideas??? Thanks!!!! Oh, by the way, I've been turning the motor over so long now that the battery is dead. It charging now.

13. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

hmmm, if you think it might be fuel related, try pouring a little gas in the carb and see what happens? also, when you replaced the rotor, did you put it (button) on the correct side of the rubber grommet (washer looking thing)?? i think it's button in the cap, then the washer, and then the coil. i normally slightly pull on the spring to make sure it makes good contact with the coil bottom, and the button. you could also just look in the bottom (inside) of the distributor cap and see the button sticking through. hope this makes since. - steve

14. 83bowtyblazer

Yup, I know exactly what you're talking about. The arc seal and rotor button. I looked at that too. It's lined up in the hole and everyting. The new cap had a new one with it but it was broken in half so I'm using the old one. Actually, all the old stuff is back in except for the wires. I'm gonna try the gas in the carb thing when the battery is charged up. Thanks for the help.

15. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

maybe the floats are sticking in the carb or you threw them off calibration when y0u had it apart

16. 83bowtyblazer

I didn't take the carb apart. Just the main fuel line where the filter is.

17. 83bowtyblazer

I jus ttried the fuel in the carb thing. Not even a spitter. I'm starting to get mad. Could that little rotor button cause these problems?? If that button is messed up, would I still get fire to the plugs??

18. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

i don't think so. all, the button is doing is tranfering the voltage from the coil to the rotor. are you sure that the button is contacting the rotor, and the bottom of the coil? and does your rotor install one way?? also, is your voltage wire connected in the correct spot on the dist. cap?? i'm sure you have a connector (unless it broke), but some people just put a lug on (i've done it), and you have to make sure it's in the right spot. sorry, for all of the posts, just trying to help (give ideas of stuff to check). - steve

19. 83bowtyblazer

Well, I just changed the ignition module. I have a stronger spark now and it's back firing alot more and th exhaust reeks of fuel. Is there anyway to clear it out?? The flooding I mean. I have a friend who is ASE certified and he thinks it's flooded big time. I'm gonna let it sit overnight and let the fuel evaporate. If anyone has any other tips, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

20. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

To clear a flooded engine I always just put my foot to the floor and hold it there and keep crankin it over. Ive gotten engines with bad head gaskets to start that way.