Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help stripping the emissions!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by taterblazer, Mar 22, 2001.

1. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

My blazer is an 88 TBI Idaho blazer. I want to strip most of the polution stuff off and just keep the good stuff; vapor canistor, egr valve and ? There are so many damn hoses and wires to break and fall apart and I haven't a clue what they do. Want to simplify it. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'd dump the A.I.R. pump and the cat, but thats just me. Not sure about the EGR.

[​IMG]

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Wouldn't losing the AIR pump on a TBI affect the way the computer would read from the oxygen sensor? I'd be really cautious about pulling ANY equipment off of a computer-controlled engine.............

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I agree w/Canmore. Things can get messy when you have the computer controls and fuel injection. And Blazerboy, that is funny....smell my finger...lol

[​IMG]

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I've though about that. Mine's an '82 so I won't have that problem. I kinda dismissed it because my dad's '89 has the pump gone. Its in the bottom left corner, right? As far as know all the rest of the brains in it are stock. I'll have to a look under the hood to see whats there. I know there are no cats for sure. Outside of that its pretty much stock only with a 4" lift and 33's.....Glad you like the pic [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. taterblazer

Thanks for the ideas guys, maybe I should just save up and get the Holly Injection system if it goes bad. I just hate having all that stuff in there.

7. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

I don't think you'll have trouble with the AIR removed because your oxygen sensor tells the computer how to adjust
    for top efficiency
    all the AIR does is reduce hydrocarbons by injecting fresh air into manifold to help complete combustion after exhaust valve opening to reduce exhaust potency

mine is carbureted so i had no trouble
    but I did it to my 91 Firbird and had no troubles
    but before I completely removed it I disconnected my AIR pump belt and my Diverter valve too see how she'd run
    and ran like before and had no service engine soon light
    hope this helps

If it ain't Intimidating / It ain't a Chevy!

8. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

My 89' TBI 350 doesnt have anything on it. Doesnt look like it was ever there either(except the cat). I know my truck is from Canada. Maybe thats why its not there.Sorry i cant help you, by telling you what you can remove. But mine is gone, and i dont get any trouble codes and the thuck runs perfect.

One From None

9. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

If you have an air injection system with fuel injection. When the engine is cold the air from the air injection is routed before the O2 sensor to burn the unburned gasses comming out of the cylinder head and into the exhaust reducing hydrocarbons. At this time the O2 sensor is not in the picture for fuel metering. Its in open loop operation. When the engine gets warm the air from the air injection is routed after the O2 sensor to the cat so that the oxygen can mix (chemical reaction) with the hydrocarbons and NOX (bad gasses) and break it down to CO2 and water.

As for the original question, If the wiring harness is messed up Painless Wiring can get you an engine harness. I would not take any emissions equipment off a vehicle with fuel injection. 97 times out of 100 you will decrease the performance of your vehicle. If you don't want to go the Holly Projection they also make replacement TBI with HP gains.

10. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

I had an 87 k5 that the Air pump was pulled off of. It ran ok and passed NJ inspection which is insane that it passed. but whoever pulled it off just left the hose that connects to it under the hood and there was always air coming out of it. Ahh that truck was a beater anyway, Im glad I sold it.

JD

11. taterblazer

Thanks for all the help. Guess what I'm going to do is read up on TBI as much as possible. If I can understand it I can modify it. Any ideas for books or resources would be appreciated. Thanks!

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You should be able to remove the canister, AIR pump, and cat without any problems. In '87 (the year that my truck's motor and injection came out of), the sticks had smog pumps and the autos did not. I also know our '89 auto Sub has no smog pump. Do not remove the EGR.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd