Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help, Stupid Front End Noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Freak, Jan 31, 2001.

1. K5Freak

K5Freak Registered Member

There is a noise coming from some were on the frontend of my 90 K5. I check the T case mount, all U joints, shock mounts, and everything else I could think of. It only makes the noise when it is in 4whl and the noise is worse when I go in reverse and turn. The noise is a klancking sound that keeps pace with the idle of my blazer. I first noticed it when I was going through an alley in town that had about 12" of snow. Any body got any suggestions?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by K5Freak on 02/01/01 09:53 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. TPI86

TPI86 1/2 ton status

Re: Stupid Front End Noise

Check motor mounts

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It could be you front axle u-joints, or possibly an auto hub if you have them.
    When my front axle u-joint went on me it sounded like a creaking noise, it would get worse if I turned one way and then better if I straightened out again. This noise was only in 4WD.
    I have one going South on me right now, I'll be replacing them both soon.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. K5Freak

I checked the axle U joints and they look good. And I have manual locking hubs. Could it be something within the axle?

5. K5Freak

I put it up on jack stands and the noise is coming from the transfercase. Does any one know were I can get one for a good price.