Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help t/c duport rod?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hd-10, Feb 20, 2004.

1. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

hello again, the bolt on the trannyy that the suport rod goes to from my t/c broke and i was curious if i where to go without the suport rod if it would effect the tranny or anything else? it is a np241 t/c.thanks for the help..

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i dont have one on my dd/plow truck but is it 80% and there are no adverse affects. the 2wd truck dont have them either /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Mine broke too, but i was lucky enough when i did my trans swap yesterday that there was enough thread sticking out to untread it by hand, i ran without for several months, i think as long as you don't do any high speed wheelin, i.e. jumping or harsh hill climbs to "jar" things around it will be ok, it looks to me like just a support type of rod to help stiffen things up. shouldn't be a problem runnin with out it till you can get the bolt out.

4. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont have one on my dd/plow truck but is it 80% and there are no adverse affects. the 2wd truck dont have them either /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

2wd trucks don't have them because they have to transfer case. From what I heard that rod is suppose to help support the T-Case to prevent the aluminum case from cracking. Why not just replace the bolt? Don't you need that bolt for the transmission bell housing too?

5. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

If you never off road you should be good without it. But if your truck gets punished at all you may crack your t-case adapter or tranny case by not having it there.