Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help. To Cold in The Mornings.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by st08x, Jan 12, 2003.

1. st08x

st08x Registered Member

I'm having a problem with getting my k5 to run good in the cold weather. Every morning when I start it, it idles high for about 2 min. then it slows down to the point where it is about to die. then i bad out of my driveway, put it in drive, and when i touch the gas it kind of stalls but comes back on, when i finally get going i idle really low and die at most stop lights/signs. BUT...i have recently discover if i start going and slowly press the gas ALL the way to the floor, it will kick up the idle and run smoothly. Why? I don't know? any ways to get around this? is it bad to gas it right out of the driveway in the cold? i have a goodwrench 350 and a edelbrock carb. with the auto choke turn up all the way.

my K-5

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

you need to back off the choke some and let it warm up longer...i say 5min minimal on mornings at or below freezing, bump your idle up a hair and run a thinner oil....

3. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

I agree, longer warming, and do you have an air cleaner? That will help, especially if it is a closed canister like stock ( ya i know, they are ugly ) but maybe for just the winter. also, are you missing the passenger side little flexy tube going from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner? that feeds wrm air when its cold and helps cold mornings. Edelbrocks are not cold weather friendly, at least mine have never been.

4. st08x

st08x Registered Member

i've tried to warm it up longer but it just idles really low and drives really choppy.

my K-5

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

How old is the carb? Almost sounds like an accelerator pump problem in the carb. It becomes way more noticable in the cold.

6. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i would say deffinitly check carb i had same problem with edlbrock found it to be top plate of carb was leaking maybe its just a small vacume leak mine gave me trouble at about 40deg or below then when it warmed up it was fine