Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help to decide what truck to get

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by scotty1, Aug 19, 2002.

1. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

OK, my beautiful 94 S-10(ZR2 wannabe) is totaled and I need a new truck. I am looking at the Tahoe or a Suburban, I like the Tahoe alot. I found a 99 with approx 35K and in good shape for $15900, I like the 2000 with the offroad package even better but it is $23,900. So should I get a Tahoe LT and put my own goodies on it or spend the extra jack for the offroad 2000? I am also concidering a Suburban, I like the 96-98 trucks in the 1/2 ton size with the 350 which is also the same engine in the Tahoe. Is the burb a better cadidate for modification? I would like a small lift(2-3" body or a 4" suspension) and no larger than 33" tires for what ever I get. Don't want to change out the r/p sets unless I have to. I may be towing in the future with this vehicle and still go offroad when required for kayaking and hunting, somtimes for fun too. If you have either of these vehicles I would love to hear from you about what mods you have done and how it has turned out? Anything else like overall satisfaction with your ride is important to me. Thanks much for your help.

2. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Well to make a long story short I have a 97 tahoe that I have had for 4 years and I absolutely love it I take it on long trips across the us and I take it fishing -hunting all the time I do not do any heavy wheeling with it (I have my k5 for that)but it has been a very dependable comfortable and easy truck to drive .I will keep it along side my k5 till I die .It just came out of the body shop with fresh paint so I will probably baby it for a while but imho get a tahoe or a suburban they are both exellent trucks that will run anything you can dish out to them .As far as aftermarket parts mine is stock for now but I have seen them lifted with 33s and they look fuc*ing awesome but a lift kit for an ifs truck is around$1100-$1500 which is expensive but if that's what you want to do then go for it dude and make sure you post pics when done so I can DROOL over it .Imagine a tahoe with 8 inches of lift with 38 super swampers OOH MAN that would look sweet.Good luck and let us know what you decide to get........oh and did I mention that mine has 110.000 miles on it and it still running strong..exellent.exellent trucks.........

3. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

if you're planning to lift whatever you get, don't buy it with an offroad package. you'll end up taking the offroad package off the truck, and you will have basically paid way too much for the offroad $ticker /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif lol

4. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I have been leaning toward the Tahoe and I will hunt for that or a Yukon. I figured the Z71 package is not worth it, I plan to get a LT and put on my own goodies. Both Superlift(stupidlift) and Pro Comp make 6" kits in the $1700-1800+ range, Pro Comp told me they will market a 4" Tahoe lift this fall for $1600. I would like less lift and only 33" tires so I can run stock r/p sets, I would like a locker in the rear. But the pictures of the 6" lift with 35" tires looks really good. I found a 99 Tahoe LT with 35K for $15900, most are $20000 or more.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The Tahoe and half-ton Suburban have the same running gear underneath. So most parts for one will fit the other. The only major difference is that the Sub has the extra foot or so of length. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif It also has more rear overhang. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif But I really like Suburbans. You can load up a bunch of people and a bunch of gear and still be comfy as you cruise. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

If I could choose another truck other then what I have I would buy a Tahoe or Yukon. I think they look great and have plenty of room without being as big as a suburban. (Suburbans are great too but if you dont want something that big )

The years you have chosen seem to be great years too. Thats just my opinion. Good luck on whatever it is you choose and Im sorry to hear that your last truck was totaled.

7. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

It is a bummer my truck got totaled but on the other hand I may have been totaled so the truck did its job. I have minor soft tissue injuries but it could have been much worse. A little luck never hurts either.

8. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Glad you made it out okay. I guess you just gave Chevy a good test for thier safety department /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

While out truck shopping today I located a 90 GMC 4x4 1/2 ton Burb in imaculate condition, 117K, was traded in by the original owner. Looks like it was garage kept, the dash is not even faded or cracked, very little rust, AR wheels and brand new 33" Yokohamas for $6500. Tomorrow is test drive day. I could get this one and spend the extra cash on goodies.

10. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Did you get the truck Scott?

11. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Not yet, I am still trying to check out Tahoe/Yukon availibility and prices. I took the Burb for a test drive and it is sweet, the only down side I noticed was a couple of hard shifts but mostly smooth. I want to see if I can get the GMC shop, where the truck is, to go over it so I have an idea of what is good and bad about it. Leaning seriously toward the Burb, it is cheaper and I can do much work on it myself. Scott

12. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Update #11, found a very clean 95 Tahoe LT with 65K for $14000. It is really nice inside and out. It even has a manually shifted transfer case /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif . I would like to not spend quite that much $ but it is newer, has leather interior and has the nice IFS ride. On the other hand the 90 Burb ischeaper at $6500, a better offroad machine, already has 33"s on it and is much cheaper to modifiy.

13. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I went with the 97 Tahoe LT 74K, very clean,tow package,barn doors, dealer putting on new brakes all the way around for $13500.

14. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Nice choice man bet you love them comfy leather seats .While its in the shop have them check out the coolant fitting that goes into the intake manifold for leaks (easy fix) but it is a common problem with the vortecs .and also listen to your fuel pump for a whining noise. at around 70.000 miles they tend to go south .Good luck with your new rig ................

15. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip on the coolant connection and the fuel pump. I really like these trucks, have driven about 7 or 8 in the last week. I plan to add goodies starting with a set of BFG All Terrains KOs, thinking about a set of rancho 5000 shocks and maybe a Hyper tech reprogrammer. I may be able to retro fit my K&N filter off the Blazer and I don't think I can live without a Flowmaster muffler. Anybody have any stories and/or items they have added to their Tahoe/Yukon and how you liked/dislike the mod? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Don't have one myself, bu8t a friend of mine just bought a 97 4x4 for $14000, sounds like oyu got a pretty good deal. We did some stuff to it, this one really made it sound better and it was free:
    There is an air silencer right behind the throttle body that says Vortec on it...a big box, attached with a hose clamp. We took it off, and replaced it with the cap of a Son Of A Gun Tire foam can. It fits the opening perfectly, and the truck sounds pretty bad ass throughout the whole RPM range...might as well try it, its free...the top for a spray paint can might work too.

17. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Free is key, that is a great mod!

18. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have info and/or experience with Tahoe/Yukon lifts? I am looking at the Pro Comp and Rancho systems right now but open to something else if there is better. I want to fit atleast 33" tires I figure atleast 4" lift but not sure about that. Your help is much welcomed