Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help, two questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Feb 12, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ok im wanting to put cruise control in my blazer which did not previously come with it. i am being offered the entire setup out of a 78' blazer minus column push button wand. can i take my present wand off and put one with cruise control on ? how much work will this be (wiring) and how much work to put entire system in. also i need to replace my tranny(its a 350) im also being offered one of those, does one have to come out of a 4x4 model, can it come out of a 2 wd, do i have to swap parts ? also i can get my hands on a 700 out of a 87' blazer. will this be a direct swap ? i seen the post about the s10 but this particular 700 could come from another blazer. honestly i have no clue as to the tech side of this stuff so bear with an idiot. any and all info is appreciated ahead of time. thanks.

darrenolander
    galva,il.
    1979chevycheyenneblazer
    350/350
    gettin'down on all fours, 4 a'little
    x4 play !

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

4X4 tranny's are different, they're shorter because of the Tcase, atleast for the Th350's...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

Don't know what your drivetrain setup is, but a 700 most likely won't be a direct swap. If you replace a 700 with a 350 like I did, A spacer is put in between the tranny and the adapter for the tcase. So the 700 is longer, and if it does bolt up, you will have to do driveshaft modification. Prob better of trying to find a drivetrain setup from someone parting out a setup like what you are looking for. Hope this helps

Tom

4. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

My 77 has the cruise and I'm still trying to figure out how it works. Haven't been able to find any info. On mine the speedo cable goes to the left fenderwell and hooks up to a large vacuum diaphram with a few hoses and a cable that continues on to the speedometer. My turn signal stalk has only the center button ( I guess for turning on and off) no separate set, resume, coast. If you have access to the system to see how it is laid out before removal, I think it would be easy to install, no computer or anything. Probably only one wire through the steering column so even that shouldn't be to hard.

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i just did the 700 to a 205 swap. i went with a new output shaft instead of the spacer, i dont know what the spacer cost, but the shaft was $125 then to get it installed was another 100 but after that it bolted right uo, the only other mod is the throttle valve cable that goes to the carb, and the front driveshaft will have to be lenghtened, and the rear shortened, about $150 for both. and the tranny does have to be out of a 4 wheel drive. you'd be best looking for a tranny thats already bolted to an x fer case, that'd save some money.

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>