Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help ****Update*****

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CenTxk5blazer, Aug 14, 2003.

1. CenTxk5blazer

CenTxk5blazer Registered Member

I'm working on a 91 1500 w/ 350 tbi. Under acceleration the truck seems to hesitate/stumble like its about to stall. The engine has recently been rebuilt and I don't think there are any vacuum leaks. The spark plugs are new and should be correctly gapped. I've also checked the timing and coil, both fine, but haven't yet looked over the cap closely. The spark plug wires seem to be okay but I haven't checked them with the ohm meter yet. The injectors have been replaced and the fuel pump was replaced maybe a year ago. The fuel filter, I believe, was replaced at the same time as the pump.

Now I know there's a chance that the problem might the dist. cap or the spark plug wires, since I didn't examine them very closely. But I would like some input from anyone that has any other ideas of what the problem is.

2. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Re: need help

My truck had a driveability problem like that, it was the EGR valve. I'd yoink the vacuum line off of it and see if it makes any difference. Something easy (and free) to try. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. CenTxk5blazer

The egr seems to be alright, I checked by moving the valve.
    If I'm not mistaken ,if it moves it's fine, if it doesn't it's bad. I did this with the engine off and while it was running.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The egr seems to be alright, I checked by moving the valve.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm not mistaken, the EGR on these trucks uses a solenoid for operation, so even though the valve works, it may not be working at the right time. Not saying it's your problem, just that moving it doesn't mean the EGR system is operating correctly.

As to the wires, resistance changes based on length, so I dunno how you'd accurately check plug wires, IIRC each one checks out quite a bit differently.

5. CenTxk5blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    If I'm not mistaken, the EGR on these trucks uses a solenoid for operation, so even though the valve works, it may not be working at the right time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about the Vacuum Regulator Valve? I don't remember seeing one but I'll check.

6. CenTxk5blazer

Okay I'm still having problems with this truck. This is what I've done so far:

New distributor cap and rotor
    new plug wires
    new egr solenoid and valve
    new coil
    it has a fairly new fuel filter, pump and injectors
    the timing was already checked but i can check it again as well as the spark plug gaps

The truck seems to still miss at idle speed but not as bad after the egr solenoid and valve was replaced. It also still hesitates a little when I accelerate. Any input as to a solution would be greatly appreciated.