Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help updating Headlights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by deek, Feb 10, 2004.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

the ones i have in my 73' just suck. whats a good lamp that would be a direct replacment, but have a better output(higher wattage). what have the rest of you used?

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I would get some halogen lights and rewire using relays. The rewire would make a dramatic difference.

This is the design I came up with for mine. Since this is for a 4 light system, you will need to adjust the diagram for the two light setup.

[​IMG]

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You could do away with some wiring and the lower relay by just inserting a diode between pin 86 of the low beam relay and pin 86 of the high beam relay. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

this is on my to-do list... i read that a 2 volt drop can reduce in 30 percent loss of light...

5. wfotyme

wfotyme Registered Member

I solved my lighting problem in my 74 K5 with HELLA 7" headlights. You can get them through J.C. Whitney. $39.99 each. They are almost too bright for the street, but they are D.O.T. approved.

6. HarryH3

DP_90K5, I can't reply to PM's so I'll post the answer here for ya:

You can eliminate the lowest relay in your drawing by inserting a 1-amp diode between the input of the low beam relay and the input of the high beam relay. The cathode (the end with the stripe) connects to the input of the low beam relay. When the high beam relay is on, the diode will be forward biased and will flow current to the input coil of the low beam relay, turning both relays on. Then when the high beam relay switches off and the low beam relay comes on, the diode will be reverse biased and won't pass current back to the input of the high beam relay. So only the low beams will be lit in this mode. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Great, thanks for the information.

One more question. The diodes I have seen are only 1" or so long. How can I physically connect the two relays using a diode?

8. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    How can I physically connect the two relays using a diode?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just crimp or solder a length of wire to one end of the diode. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

That's what I needed to know! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif - if you could add wire to a diode...
    Thanks

10. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

this post is a few weeks old so i thought i would hijack...

if i want my low beams to stay on when the high beams are switched, do i just eliminate the lowest relay (the one behind the firewall) in dp 90k5's drawing?

11. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The drawing is designed to leave the low beams on. The relay that shows to be behind the firewall is the relay that turns the low beams on when the high beams are on(all three relays are actually mounted on the driver's side fenderwell inside the engine bay - that part of the drawing is misleading). The other option is to do what Harry has posted. Just use a diode between the high and low beam relays...