Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help URGENT

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Jun 12, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

so i was washin my truck down from all the mud yesterday, and i was washin g the underneath and when i got done i went to go start up the engine so i could back it out into the street, it started up no problem, but is making this loud clicking noise when it runs, and the oil pressure guage doesnt go up, when i walked over to the engine compartment, i sware that i heard a gargling noise, but i`m not positive...i added two quarts of oil but nothin,i`m really starting to get freaked out here as i think my trannys dieing too:eek1:

2. NEK5

i hope this isn`t the end to my truck:( :eek1:

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i know your probably watching this post close for replies. I cannot help much.
    check the oil, is it light brown and foamy?
    hows the coolant level?

4. NEK5

seems alright, the oil was real low, which is why i added 2 qts

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

low oil + full throttle in the mud = bad

That clicking could be a knock and or noisy valvetrain that became oil starved or damaged.

Good luck, hope it isn't the end of your motor

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sorry to here that man, but thats why you have to check your fluids before wheelin. Oh well, you live and learn. I have messed up a lot of stuff so don't feel bad.
    My friend's Jeep threw a rod and blew a hole in the block and oil pan. Not good :(

Try changing your oil and see if that helps.

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Make sure that its not an exhaust leak before you freak yourself out. Sometimes you have to be a little familiar with the different sounds that your truck makes. Is it more of a knock or a tick? Does it vary with engine rpm? I have also heard accesories makes noise too, like your water pump or alternator. Which in mud alternators dont seem to last too long.

8. NEK5

its more of a tick noise, and i am freaking myself out, Glen i did check my fluids, they were fine, when i got my truck towed to my house(from my grandmas) and he started it up to straighten the wheel, i told him that i didnt know what the f**k that was, and he said on his mustang he had a noise coming like that from his headers, and he said it was an airleak

9. NEK5

not really sure where it was coming from because i was freakin out, especially when i saw the OP gauge wasnt moving

10. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

id probably start by gettin it warm, tightening the header/manifold bolts, and changing the oil.

11. Chevy305

yup definately an exhaust leak.

Edit: I wouldn't worry about the exhaust leak, right now anyways. I broke one of the bolts holding the collector onto the exhaust manifold trying to replace the gasket. Then tried an easy-out and broke that off into the bolt. So now my passenger side only has 2 bolts holding the collector on, so it ticks, but I am just used to it. At first the ticking pissed me off, but it was better/worse some days.

12. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

gurgling is your coolant.

13. NEK5

i`m not possitve on the gurglin though, what about the oil pressure, this all happened after i washed the truck down, so i dont know what to do/think...this is freaking me out big time...

14. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Take a second and chill out dude, you'll never figure out the problem if you dont get off the computer and get out there and start diagnosing things....

Think about it for a second, logically how could washing your truck cause the motor to not have any oil pressure?

Now what is more likely is for you to have an exhaust leak, they are fairly common.

Basically coming on here screaming for help isnt going to get you all that far because we arent there with you to see and hear what its doing. Get out there and diagnose the problem..

15. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

By the sounds of what you are describing. one of two things. A loose lifter or exhaust leak. Check to see if your wire is still connected to your oil pressure switch. A loose connection equals bad readings.

just my .02 cents.

Did you spray the engine compartment as well or just the under carriage area?

16. NEK5

just the under carriage area and around the motor tranny are too but not alot

17. NEK5

as far as diagnosing the problem, what should i do, just start her up and see where the ticks coming from??? i`m just afraid to start it up and keep it running

18. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

start it up and start doing the things these people are telling you. you're gonna have to diagnose this which most likely is going to involve running the engine.

19. NEK5

well heres how it went, as i`m basically flippin out as i`m walking out to my truck(i havent told you what happened to my interior) i figure i would start the truck up and look around, so i pop the hood, start her up, and looked around, and before i can even look around for it, it starts going away, then it went away completely, and the oil pressure went back up to about 45...i dont have a clue what happened, could something have been in the alternator or something that flew in when i was spraying it down?

20. Chevy305

Well, do what I do,

Pretend the whole thing never happened ;)

Yeah, dude your interior had more mud in it than I think was on the trail :doah: