Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help w/ frozen bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bandit175, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Bandit175

Bandit175 Registered Member

I have a square tube bumper with a swing away tire carrier. The hinge is really just a 8"x1" bolt welded o the actual swingout part and then slid into a hole drilled through the bumper. The thing is totally frozen. I sprayed all kinds of rust cutter and lube on the thing and have tried everything I can think of. Hammered it, heated it and hammered it, pried it with a halligan tool, even tried to push it out with my high lift but just lifted the whole back end off the ground. PLEASE HELP

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Could the problem be that it's bent (and not stuck)?

3. Bandit175

Bandit175 Registered Member

yeah my dad mentioned that it could be bent but it doesn't really look like it though...if it is bent what should I do cut the bolt off and try to hammer it out the bottom?

4. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

My opiunion is to use some combination of grinder, acetylene torch, and a BFH. Tat should do the trick. If all else fails, give me the title and make it my problem instead! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I can't envision your exact problem enough to give real good advice. From my recent experience though, I'd suggest thinking in terms of a grinder with a cutoff wheel attachment, and what disposable parts you could grind through or off to solve your problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif