Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help w/lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mattm, Sep 12, 2005.

1. mattm

mattm Registered Member

I've got a 74 blazer w/ 4in (I think) lift and 35 in. bfg a/t's I wan't a reliable daily city driver I rebuilt the 350 and the th350 . My pinion angle is the problem since I've had the truck it's busted u-joints a spider gear blew threw the front of the axle case. the tranny went. I've had half inch spacers put onthe tranny and transfer case and the rears shimmed but now I've gotaleak from the transfer case gasket. should I take it stock?

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Why not take it to a spring shop and let them do the measurements and shim it correctly?

3. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

With only 4" of lift you shouldnt have any driveline angle probs at all. My 6" didnt have any angle probs. What is your trans/t-case combo? 12bolt 44 combo?? Sounds to me like you had parts on the way out before the lift.

4. mattm

mattm Registered Member

sprig shop was the one that shimmed it and spaced the tranny rear could have been on the way out . the 4in lift i'm not too sure about when I bought the truck it was already lifted. if its a 6 in lift i'm considering a 4 in and 33in tires is this possible

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I had a truck with add a leaves that constantly went through ujoints. Not probable but not impossible to have bad angles with low lift.

6. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

6in lift u should be ok if it was shimed. u would of had shaft vibe before they blew. i would look at bad parts, and u can keep the 35's on a 4 in btw.

lift seem to be hit or miss though so not for shure on anything over 4in :doah:

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

From what I have read here and personal experience, Every single truck is different. My 4 inch lift left the yoke an extra 3-4 inches out of the tcase in the rear. Broke that yoke, but ruined the bearing and seal first. I run 35" and unless I am at full flex I have no problems with it.

8. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I had a 4" spring lift with shims on a 81 Blazer with TH350/NP208 and 12 bolt rear. I kept busting U-Joints and had vibration problems. I had a custom made driveshaft made with 1350 joints. Still had vibrations and it took a bit longer to wear out the U-Joint. I got rid of the vibes and U-joint problem when I had a custom 1350 CV shaft made. :wink1:

9. mattm

mattm Registered Member

thanx for the help looks like highangfle driveshaft might be the nextthing to try. i'm working on the balljoints now and I've got the steering box frame crack . rough country makes a plate for this 79.95 or should I make something ?