Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Help w/ strange prob...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coloradoblazers, Nov 9, 2002.

1. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

After I thought I brok an axel last weekend, I pulled the cover expecting carnage. Instead, I found that the reason I sont have 4 wheel drive is that the drivers side axelshaft has enough play in it that it slides out of the spidergears. I have no idea how to fix this. The axel is a Dana 60 front, I pulled everything apart, nothing is broken, stripped or worn. Is there something that is supposed to hold it in the pumpin tight? I was thinking a heavy duty spring or washers against the hub pushing it back in place might work.. Any other ideas, the snow is piling up, so I need 4x4!
    Thanks, Jake /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

what does the other side have? a c clip maybe?
    i am not familiar with 60's, and my dodge that has them is full time with no hub, just a castle nut like a newer IFS truck.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like a busted axle shaft to me. The shaft can only move outwards a limited amount due to the axle u-joint...and that amount is much less than the spline engagement depth into the side gears. Pull the cross shaft out of the carrier and see if the end of the axle comes inwards...

I guess the other possibility is a fragged hub...

Rene

4. coloradoblazers

Its not a broken shaft, if I reach in the knuckle and push the shaft into the housing, it engages properly. I just got new warn premo hubs, and checked those too. I tore everything apart to check just to be sure. If the shaft was broken, it wouldn't engage when it was pushed in. The other side does not have as much play, and everything in the pumpkin is tight. This is weird! If the axel had a c clip, it would be fine, it just pops out too far.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That is a strange problem, and the only explaination that I have is that you have an axleshaft that is the wrong ond for the axle. There's no way that a stock shaft can disengage from the splines, when the wheels are turned the joint always has to return to the same place, it's just the physics of the thing. When the wheels are turned the u-joint has to be centered right on the axis where the knuckle turns, which is going to be right between the knuckles. If the shaft isn't long enough to engage the splines when the wheels are turned, then it must be the wrong shaft. I don't see how it could be a broken shaft, because even if it were broken it wouldn't be able to move any farther out, since the other part of the shaft would stop it from moving. Hopefully some of this made sense. Basically, I suggest that you turn the wheels to the lock, doesn't matter which way, and see where the splines are in relation to the spider gear. There should be very little play with the wheels turned.</font color>

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I second that.
    Someone must have put the wrong axle shaft.

7. coloradoblazers

Its got to be the right shaft, it measures up right,(diameter, splines, length etc) and I was told it was the original(looks to be as well.) As a temporary fix I put a spring inbetween the hub and the shaft, and it is working fine now. The only thing I can think of is that the oil slinger/sheild that is on the stub end sealing the spindle some how got pushed on too far, allowing the shaft to slide in and out. Trying to find a new shaft, just to be sure.
    Never had this happen before, or heard of it. As long as I can get around in the colorado snow for the next month( and get a few snowboard runs in as well) I won't be driving it for a while. Thanks for all your help, got me thinking...
    Thanks, Jake /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The reason I say it could be the wrong shaft is that they came in slightly different widths in DODGE, GM and FORD and if someone was trying to fix that axle by getting parts from a junk yard it could happen.