Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help. wanting to pull front drive shaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by deek, Jan 1, 2004.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

I totally understand the U-joint at the diff. But what gets me is the seperation from the transfer case & that dual U-joint setup, does it just slide out, or do you undo one of the U-joints at the top?

The Removal will be from a 76' 3/4 ton

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if its the cv style which i think you are describing "dual u joint" then there are 4 bolts just likr the from on the back side of the cv. they are hard to see and even harder to undo. they are basically above the crossmember. itll be 1/4 turn at a time. have fun. buy the way they wont come out once they are loose the cv will keep them from falling out orobably. loosen all 4 and then pull it down.

69k5

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

will probably have to hit the cv with a hammer to unseat the driveshaft, I know first time I did it I was sitting there trying to figure out what was up.

4. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

I got the one out om my 3/4 ton earlier, it pulled right out of the transfer case, but now I'm trying to pull the one out of my blazer. Its identical to the one in the 3/4 but this one just wont come out. I actually have a come-alone between the shaft & the bumper /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif & with that it still won't pull out.

I'll try banging on it to see if that'll knock'er loose /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I just did this so I could install a driveshaft spacer. Here's what you do:

1) Park vehicle on flat ground.
    2) You'll see that the driveshaft is attached to the yoke on the transfer case with 4 bolts (5/8" socket). You'll want/need an extension on your ratchet to reach them because the crossmember is in the way.
    3) As many people know, it's very difficult to remove bolts on something that spins (ie, lug nuts on a tire that's off the ground, etc). So, here's a helpful trick I used. The linkage for the transfer case is directly above where you'll be working. With the vehicle in 2wd, turn the shaft by hand so that you can access one of the bolts. Then, grab the linkage by hand and jam it into 4wd...remove bolt...move transfer case to 2wd, turn shaft so you can get next bolt...put in 4wd, etc.
    4) Once the bolts are removed, you'll still need to pound the shaft off of the yoke. There is a little lip of the CV part that sticks out of the side of the yoke, just hit that with your trusty hammer/ratchet extension and the shaft will pop off.
    5) Installation is reverse of disassembly. Bolts are torqued to 60-70 ft-lbs with a drop of locktite on each.

NOTE: This is the procedure I used for my '90 truck. I see that you have a '76. If you have fulltime hubs, you'll need to get the front wheels off the ground in order to be able to rotate the shaft while in 2wd. And, I'm not too familiar with 203 cases, so I don't know how easily you can put it in 4wd while under the truck. If that doesn't work, just use a long screwdriver and jam it through the CV in order to keep the drive shaft from spinning while taking out the bolts.

Have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif