Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help what would you do frame cracked

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudduck, May 10, 2002.

1. mudduck

mudduck 1/2 ton status

just started to finish up D 60 swap on my shortbed took factory shock mounts off to put on the ford towers and guess what on both sides behind mount there is a crack in the frame i bought this truck, on the drivers side someone welded it up to shock mount and shock mounts were also welded on guess i should have been more curious when i bought this truck, what would you do get another frame or try to fix this one the truck has a real good body which is why i bought it in the first place, got laid off and had to sell my other projects now this is all i have, thanks for any advice or help,

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

What we do on big rig frames is put another frame inside of the cracked area and about a foot either way and bolt it in.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Another thing to do, which is similir to what 70 said, is to "fish plate" the crack. Cut some plate steel to fit over the crack on both sides the same width of the frame and extend 6-12" on either side of the crack, Then weld it up. Also, do not weld all the way around the edge of the the plate. It's not really necesary and the excessive heat can weaken things. Just small welds spaced out evenly around the perimeter is all ya need.