Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED HELP!!! Where can I get 14bsf backing plates

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Sep 6, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have the E-brake problem solved but I need some help. I have the 14 bff axle out of a 79 Chevy and need to change the backing plate to a 14 bsf axle. Now here’s the problem I have looked all over for the backing plates and have found some but, they are on the axles and they wont part with just the backing plates. I tried to call the dealer for the parts and said they need a vehicle year and type so they can look up the part. I told them all I need is the backing plates off a 14 bsf with 13 inch brakes but, still no help.
    Does anyone here know of a place that sells the backing plates I need?

Thanks,
    Charles

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Go back to the dealership and tell them you need them for an '85 K20 truck.

They will only show 1 part number as the other has been discontinued. Order 2 of these and when you get them home, you will see the hole for the e-brake cables are both on the same side, hence the same part number.

Simply get a drill and bit the same size as the hole and re-drill a new hole on the opposite side of that boss, which is sticking out. This will allow you to run the cable on the opposite side.

Expect to pay around $75-ish per plate. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

If you don't have any luck with the dealership, PM me and I will give you a phone number to a place guaranteed to have these plates. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. One more thing do the backing plates have to be off a 6 lug or 8 lug 14 blt rear of does it matter.

Charles

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I posted "K20", so thats an 8 lug.