Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help wiring offroad lights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Jun 11, 2001.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

May 13, 2000
    I just picked up two 8" 130 watt driving lights and the procomp HD single switch wiring kit. This is the only directions I got: http://84k5.coloradok5.com
  2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Nov 25, 2000
    Ok you have the Instructions by what i saw on that link and everything you need sounds like it's there also. I can't read it though sorry, But from what i can see all you should need to do is follow the picture. As for the metal fork thing, That is for when you go to hook up the wire to the fuse box. And if i read the picture right there is one wire going to your lights. The three connectors i would think go to the switch. As for the battery hook up i've hook up stuff right to the + side of the battery (I use the top post) there is all so a junction box thingy on the fire wall but any GOOD 12 volt sorce will work. As for the inline fuse part i would say inbetween the switch and relay.
    Hope that help's somewhat

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated
  3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    Hmmm..... those instructions look pretty simple to me. But if they confuse you anything I can tell you will also. But here goes:
    1.you split the power to both lamps with an inline connector
    2.They may have supplied the inline fuse connector incase you do not run the wire that goes from the fuse box to the switch from a circut protected by a fuse. If you run the power to the switch from a un fused power source use the inline fuse.
    3.The connectors are for connecting wire to terminals or connecting wire to wire.
    4. connect the lights to the power wires with in line connectors.
    5. you connect the wire to the battery by putting a connector on the end of it that will fit over the bolt that holds the battery cable on.
    6.Dont know what the metal fork is. A wire splitter maby? to connect the two lights? see question #1.
    You may also need a crimping/stripping tool to attach the connectors to the wire. Go to a good auto parts store to get one and ask a sales person how to use it.
    It would also help to have a buddy with some basic wireing skills. Hope this helps.

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Apr 2, 2000
    Well, It is damn near impossible to answer your questions without being able to see the kit. The copy on the net is hard to see. But I will try to anser your questions.

1) Ok, most of the time whenI have to wire up lights at work, the kit hsa the conectors to conect the lights together. The black wires on the lights need to go to ground, the white wires will conect together and the run to the #30 prong on the relay.

2)The fuse needs to go as close to the Battery as possible.

3) There sould be some sort of ring terminal to to connect the wire to the battery

Well, I truly think that you need take the lights to someone who has the experience to install them. I don't know what little fork thingy your refering to. But if you don't know how to connect the wires to the lights then you should let someone who does do it. I truly don't meant that in a shitty way, I'm not trying to insult you, but it seems to me that you might need a hand. Hope this helps.

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Jan 16, 2001
    OK, this isn't too bad - The first thing you need to do, is go to the auto parts and buy some good nylon butt connectors (blue 14-16), and a can of liquid electrical tape, throw away the "suitcase" connectors if that's what came with it, they'll just give you a headache.

To split the wire to the two lights, the easiest way to do it is stripping about 1/2" of the insulation off of the lead going to one light, then soldering in a jumper to the other light, then coating it liberally with liquid electrical tape.

Your inline fuse should be 10" to 18" from the battery.

The connectors are for tying into the lights, the ones that come with wiring kits are junk - see the first part of this post.

To connect the wire to the battery, if your battery cable doesn't have a pigtail, there's a small connector block on the firewall, just to the side of the master cylinder - this is a great place to connect. Use a 1/4" ring terminal.

The forked connector is most likely for tying into the fuseblock - I'd tie into the parking light fuse for this.

Hope I helped you out!

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.coloradok5.com>http://pugsley.coloradok5.com</A>
  6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Feb 21, 2001
    Put the inline fuse in between the hot terminal on the firewall and the relay. The funny looking thing is to splice into a wire for power to opperate the relay. You can chose a few different ways of hooking that up.
    1) To the Hi-Beam wire (will only turn on when hi beams are on)
    2) To the lo-beam wire (will turn on only with head lights on)
    3) To a constant hot wire (can turn on when ever you want)

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust
  7. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    I've always wired my lights to the high beams instead of a connection to the fuse box. This way you can use your dimmers to shutoff your lights when you meet some one on the trail. It's not much more complicated and is very handy.

1989 K5