Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with 14 Bolt FF Gov Loc

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Oct 31, 2002.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I'm purchasing a 14 Bolt FF with a Gov Loc. The guy has 2 of these.

Unit #1 - With the pinion held still, if you turn one wheel the other turns in the opposite direction, like an open differential.

Unit #2 - If you turn one wheel, the other goes the same direction. You can't move one wheel independent of the other. He grabbed one, I grabbed the other and it was like we were trying to twist a spool.

First question. Is one broken? Which is the proper operation for a Gov Loc?

Second question. Do Gov Locs wear? What happens when they wear? How can I tell if it's worn out? Can they be rebuilt or is it even worth it? (Sorry, more like 4 questions in 1)

Third question. I hear bad things about Gov Locs. This one will be behind a stock FI 454 and a Turbo 400. It won't be wheeled hard, mostly snow. Is this thing going to blow up and destroy my housing or will it work for what I'm doing.

Thanks, and Happy Halloween!

Eric M.

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Can't help ya with everything thing, but maybe a few. The Gov-lock in my 14bff, with the pinion held still, one wheel spins forward, one spins backwards. Pretty sure this is how they should operate. Unit #1 sounds like the average gov-locked rear end, and unit #2 sounds like it has either been welded or had a spool type locker added.

Yes Gov-locks wear. They have little clutch packs in them that help enable the locking and unlocking of both tires. Those clutch packs can wear down or wear out over time. Hope that was some help.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

gov locks are as close to spontanious cumbustion as anything i have ever heard of.

Also be aware that any locker sucks in snow, and gov lock carriers will not accept detriot lockers.

just a little FYI from your local neighborhood Profile Police /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Gov Locs in 14FF's are pretty stout. There are a few stories about them breaking BUT most people with 14FF gov loks have had pretty good service with them. Thats from my personal contacts as well as those on this forum. My 14FF Gov'lok has stood up to a 454FI engine spinning tires on big rocks for a long time.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My 2 cents - the first unit is operating normally, a govlock should act like an open diff when no power is being applied to it. I will also agree that 14b govlocks are generally pretty stout units. </font color>

6. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

I run 38's on a 14FF with a Gov-Loc behind an 88 TBI 454 and haven't killed it yet. I am not extremely abusive to it, but i make it work.

7. Robbie6987

Robbie6987 1/2 ton status

You should pull the cover off #2 if you can it could have a detroit.