Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need help with 14 bolt ff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bowtiewrench, Apr 25, 2005.

1. bowtiewrench

bowtiewrench Registered Member

Well you guys probably thought I was talking about a 14 bolt for my k5 right? nope :D I managed to blow the g80 locker in my AV up and its gonna take the rest of the rear end with it. It has been making horrible loud banging sounds when taking tight turns so I pulled the cover and holy metal shavings batman! There were huge chunks on the magnet along with rather large circle pieces that "were" the shims. So with the amount of backlash the thing has now its evident that it needs a complete rebuild. I intend to get all new bearings, maybe re gear it with 4.10's instead of the 3.73's, and a detroit locker because there is no way Im putting another g80 in there just to blow up again. My problem is that detroit says that I need an open carrier to be able to use their locker, so will any open carrier work from any 14 bolt FF from any year? I do not know if there are any differences between the old 14 bolts and the new. How hard are these things to set up any way? Thanks for your help.

Alex

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have a 76 or 77 14ff rear. i put a 96-up carrier in it . worked o.k. i think the big diffrence is in the srw brakes. when thay went to the pop off drums. and dont forget the dully rears that is a whole other thing. but i am sure the inners are the same.just make sure you get a 4 pin carrier. the g80 govboms are 3 pin units. these are the spider pins next to the ring gear.

3. bowtiewrench

bowtiewrench Registered Member

BTW, this is a 2002 14 bolt FF