Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need help with 15" 8 lug rims they're rubbing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka454, Mar 18, 2002.

1. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Need help with 15\" 8 lug rims they\'re rubbing

I finally replaced my front differential to 8 lug, and bought some new rims the only one's they make in 15" and 8 lug, I wanted to keep the 15 inchers because that way I have lots of tires to choose from once I wear my X-Terrains, now the trouble is that I grinded the calipers pretty much and when you turn the wheel it looked like it had enough space so that the rim wont rub, but when I put them on and went for a test drive when I apply the brake I feel that it rubs, I kept the same calipers I had before and brake pads but they're practically new, what else can it be, or could it be that when I apply the brake the calipers somehow move up and rub against the rim? do I need to grind a little more? what do you guys think?

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Re: Need help with 15\" 8 lug rims they\'re rubbing

grind a little more. make sure when you test fit them put at least 2 lugs on and spin it. when you put the lugs on it puts pressure where you thought you ground enough

3. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Yeah that's what I did yesterday for about 3 hours I was grinding and testing putting 4 lugs on until it didn't rub anymore, but when I test drove it it rubbed again, and I dont want to loose the 15" rims.

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Like scobbydan said, just grind some more off. I had this same problem with mine. All I did was grind some more off and it was good to go. I ran it with the 15's for about 6months with no problems. Just make sure you paint them after your done so that 1) you protect the metal and 2) you can see where it rubs.

5. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Sounds good thanks for the info guys and Estaban let me know when you guys are going to Azusa it looks like I will be ready for the run, thanks again.

6. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Oh one more thing I forgot to ask, I will be replacing the rear differential to a 14 bolt this weekend, will that one be an easy take off and put the new one on too or do I need to modify something, for the front one I didn't need to modify anything everything was the same, how bout for the rear any modifications.?

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Don't just start grinding. You want to remove the minimum amount (obviously). Spray some primer (or paint) on the caliper and take it for a short spin. You will be able to easily see where it is hitting. Just take a little off and retry...

8. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Will do that Russ thanks.